From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bushkofsky Named Director for Women of the ELCA

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:03:43 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 18, 2002

BUSHKOFSKY NAMED DIRECTOR FOR WOMEN OF THE ELCA
02-052-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Linda Post Bushkofsky, 43, Chaska, Minn., was
named the fourth executive director for Women of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the women's organization of the
church.  Women of the ELCA's executive board elected Bushkofsky during
its meeting here March 14-17.  She will assume her new post Aug. 1.
      "I have a special place in my heart for the women of our church.
They have nurtured my faith, challenged my assumptions and provoked my
conscience," said Bushkofsky in an interview.
     "With the great need contemporary women have for reaching out to
one another around issues of faith and spirituality, Women of the ELCA
need not be seen as an anachronism in the 21st century," she said.   "I
look forward to working with the executive board and the staff in making
the
organization a meaningful, relevant and vital community for all women of
the church. In doing so, it will be a delight to partner with other
units of the church as we carry out our common mission."
     "The women of our congregational units are the lifeblood of the
organization, and I'm anxious to spend time with them, getting to know
the needs of our congregational units and how the churchwide staff might
serve as a ministry partner with and a resource for the women as they carry

out their baptismal calls," Bushkofsky said.
     Women of the ELCA has more than 7,800 "local units in
congregations" and, since 1999, "institutional settings" across the
United States and Caribbean.  The organization's mission is "to mobilize
women to act boldly on their faith in Jesus Christ."   Since 1997,
Bushkofsky has been associate executive for communication and
interpretation for the Synod of Lakes and Prairies, Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.), Bloomington, Minn.  From 1993 to 1996, she served as
administrator for the ELCA Northeastern Pennsylvania Synod, Wescosville,
Pa.  Bushkofsky taught legal writing and analysis at Villanova
University School of Law, Villanova, Pa., from 1988 to 1992.  She was an
attorney at Hamburg, Rubin, Mullen and Maxwell, Lansdale, Pa., from 1986
to 1988, and a law clerk for the Pennsylvania Superior Court, Allentown,
Pa., 1984 to 1986.
     Bushkofsky is currently pursuing a master of arts degree in
religious communication at Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn.  In 1984 she
earned a juris doctor degree at the University of Pittsburgh School of
Law, Pittsburgh, and a bachelor of arts degree in English and political
science at Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, Pa., in 1981.
Susquehanna is one of 28 colleges and universities of the ELCA.
     Active in all levels of the women's organization, Bushkofsky
serves as a columnist for "Lutheran Woman Today," the magazine of Women
of the ELCA.  She also served as president of the women's organization
at St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, Whitehall, Pa.
     Bushkofsky and her husband, the Rev. Dennis L. Bushkofsky, have
one daughter.  They are members of Edina Community Lutheran Church,
Edina, Minn.
     Bushkofsky will succeed Catherine I.H. Braasch, who will complete
her term this summer.  Her decision not to serve for another four-year
term included family health reasons and her preparation to enter the
ordained ministry.  Braasch's end-of-service will coincide with the
Women of the ELCA's Fifth Triennial Gathering in Philadelphia, July 8-
14, 2002.   She will officially leave office Aug. 31.
     "Our executive board has made a stunningly wonderful choice for
our next executive director," Braasch said.
     "Linda Post Bushkofsky combines love for Women of the ELCA and the
leadership abilities needed to guide this organization in our mission:
To mobilize women to act boldly on their faith in Jesus Christ.  I'm
delighted by her selection and more confident than ever in the future of
Women of the ELCA," Braasch said.
     "By a unanimous vote, the executive board of Women of the ELCA
selected Linda Post Bushkofsky.  She brings a rich background of active
participation in all expressions of Women of the ELCA, [including]
leadership abilities, communication skills and ecumenical experiences.
She is an excellent choice to help our organization move into an
exciting future as we live out our mission," said Linda Chinnia,
Baltimore, president of Women of the ELCA.

For information contact: