From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: News Briefs

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:03:47 -0500 (EST)

March 19, 2002

2002-067

Episcopalians: News Briefs

U.S. church leaders welcome United Nations resolution on
Palestine

(ENS) Church leaders have welcomed the March 13 resolution of
the United Nations Security Council, sponsored by the United
States, that supports the call for a Palestinian statebut some
of them warned that the resolution must be followed by concrete
steps to end the current cycle of violence and resume peace
negotiations.

Commenting through  Churches for
Middle East Peace, a 16-member coalition of churches and
church-related agencies including the Episcopal Church, the
leaders said that the resolution should be a springboard to
implement clear-cut initiatives to stop the violence, return
both parties to negotiations, and end the Israeli occupation of
Palestinian territories.

Dennis Frado, representative of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America at the United Nations, said that the
resolution "breaks new ground because it is the first time the
Council has gone on record specifically endorsing the creation
of a Palestinian state." And it comes, he added, "at a most
critical time for all people of the region." It may also signal
that the U.S. "will support Council discussions of various peace
initiatives such as that of the Saudi Crown Prince," calling for
normalization of relations between Israel and the Arab nations
if Israel returns to pre-1967 borders.

"There is a desperate need to end the violence on all sides,"
said James Matlack, director of the Washington office for the
American Friends Service Committee. "The quickest and surest way
to do sothe path that can lead to peace and security for all
partiesis for Israel to commit itself and move promptly to end
its occupation of the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem."

Church leaders also welcomed the return of the American
negotiator, General Anthony Zinni, to the area as a signal that
the U.S. will no longer sit on the sidelines but become actively
involved in seeking a solution through the United Nations.

Episcopal bishop in Jerusalem says 'peace is the only
alternative left'

(ENS)  Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal of the Episcopal Diocese of
Jerusalem sent Lenten greetings to friends around the world,
describing the deteriorating situation in the region, "bringing
with it tragic loss of life, innumerable injustices and the
damage and destruction of infrastructure, hospitals, schools and
the homes of innocent peopleamong them our own people."

The bishop's letter
called upon "all our partners and friends to do all that is in
their power to bring an end to this pain and suffering in our
homeland. The recent hostilities, as well as the reoccupation of
liberated Palestinian towns and villages, has proved
catastrophic and tragic for both parties. No one with common
sense believes that a whole nation can be controlled with the
power of the gun. Justice is the only possible way."

Riah said that he had just returned from the Palestinian city
of Ramallah, shortly after Israeli tanks pulled out of the city.
He quoted the Rev. George Al-Kopti of St. Andrew's Church who
said that 150 Israeli tanks had entered the city, "occupying
every corner and preventing movement, even movement of the
injured to the hospitals and clinic in town. They occupied
houses and apartment buildings, asking families to congregate in
one house with no regard to their age or their health."

"Every one of our institutions and parishes has felt the
crushing economic repercussions of the situation," Riah added.
He said that the continued support of friends around the world
"makes an immense difference in our lives and our ministries. He
ended with a challenge for those friends "to speak out on behalf
of the people of this land" and join the church in the region in
prayers for "peace with justice, justice with truth, and truth
with righteousness, as well as for the safety and protection of
all people. Peace is the only alternative left."

American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee organizing
demonstrations

(ENS) The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) is
organizing demonstrations in Washington, DC and Los Angeles on
March 30 as a national day of solidarity with the Palestinian
people. "The escalating violence between Palestinians and
Israelis is disastrous for both peoples. The occupation must
end," ADC said in its announcement calling on "all people of
good will" to join with the Arab-American community in calling
for an end to violence and occupation and support for a just
peace.

"The way to peace is clear, has long been recognized by an
international consensus as embodied in international law and UN
Security Council resolutions, and will be reflected in the
themes of the demonstrations: end the occupation,
land-for-peace, two peopletwo states, a shared Jerusalem, and
the right of refugees to return," the ADC said.

Sudanese Ecumenical Forum examines recent developments

(ENS) The Sudan Ecumenical Forum meeting in London March 4-6
took a look at recent developments in the area and discussed
changes in international political and economic relations as
they affect the lives of the Sudanese people. The forum focused
on the impact of these changes on the prospects for a just and
sustainable peace in the Sudan, wracked by 18 years of civil war
and the loss of some two million people.

Since 1999 the churches in the Sudan have documented bomb
attacks on civilian settlements and food distribution centers,
calling on the international community to take action to save
innocent civilian lives. The documentation includes descriptions
of recent attacks by helicopter gunships, which fly at low
altitude, attacking villages and gunning down civilians as they
run for cover. They charge that the Khartoum government is
systematically terrorizing the population in the northern and
western Upper Nile region. Delegates to the forum called for
international pressure for an immediate end to the bombing.

Delegates to the forum, sponsored by the World Council of
Churches, confirmed that the oil business has aggravated the
suffering of the civilians, especially in the concession areas
where exploration continues. Delegates also heard that the
inhuman practice of slavery is still a problem in the Sudan.

Sudanese church leaders emphasized the deep desire for
self-determination among the people in southern Sudan and other
marginalized areasstill unrealized despite its inclusion in the
constitution of 1998. They warned that any settlement of the
civil war that does not include self-determination would not
last. They also expressed serious doubts about a resumption of
aid to Khartoum from the European Union in the absence of any
tangible improvement in the area of human rights, democracy,
peace and good relations with neighboring countries. They called
on the Europeans not to deal with the symptoms of the conflict
but to listen carefully to the voices of the civil society and
the churches.

Ecumenical patriarch pays tribute to victims of terrorist
attacks

(ENI) Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomeos I, spiritual leader of
the world's 300 million Orthodox Christians, paid tribute to a
tiny Greek Orthodox church in New York that was destroyed when
the World Trade Center towers collapsed September 11.

At commemorations to mark the six-month anniversary of the
terrorist attacks, the patriarch vowed that the small church
would re-emerge as a visible symbol of recovery. "The damage
will be repaired, the Holy Church of Saint Nicholas will be
rebuilt," he said at the site where the church had once stood in
the shadow of the towers. Rebuilding the church has become an
international campaign for Orthodox Christians, and more than
enough funds are already available.

The new church would represent the latest stage in the
remarkable history of the parish that dates back to 1916.
Developers of the Trade Center sought to buy the church in the
1960s but members "refused to sell the place that was dedicated
to Saint Nicholas, despite the tempting monetary rewards that
were offered, out of respect for the saint," Bartholomeos said.
He talked about comforting the family members of victims at
"this place of unbearable pain" and asked all nations to
renounce acts of terrorism. "Terrorist acts multiply evil and
perpetuate the immortal cycle of reciprocating evil with evil,"
he said in his sermon, accompanied by the sound of pneumatic
drills and generators at the Ground Zero site.

Evangelist Billy Graham apologizes for anti-Semitic comments
on Nixon tapes

(ENS) The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association issued an
apology on March 15 after the National Archives released
hundreds of hours of tapes, made by the Nixon White House 30
years ago, revealed that the evangelist made anti-Semitic
remarks in a meeting with the president. He accused the Jews as
"the ones putting out the pornographic stuff" and said that the
Jewish "stranglehold" on the media "has got to be broken or the
country's going down the drain."

In the statement Graham said that he and the president
"discussed every conceivable subject" but that he repudiated his
comments about a Jewish stranglehold on the media and offered
his apology. "I don't ever recall having those feelings about
any group, especially the Jews, and I certainly do not have them
now. I humbly ask the Jewish community to reflect on my actions
on behalf of Jews over the years that contradict my words in the
Oval Office that day."

During his 83 years Graham said that he realizes his life
"has been a pilgrimage, constantly learning, changing, growing
and maturing. I have come to see in deeper ways some of the
implications of my faith and messagenot the least of which is
in the area of human rights and racial and ethnic understanding.
Racial prejudice, anti-Semitism or hatred of anyone with
different beliefs has no place in the human mind or heart. I
urge everyone to examine themselves and renew their own hearts
before God."

Religion's influence in American life is growing, poll
reveals

(ENS) In the wake of the terrorist attacks of September 11,
about 78 percent of Americans polled by the Pew Research Center
are convinced that the influence of religion in American life is
growingand their favorable views of Islamic Americans has
increased from 45 to 59 percent.

Church attendance has not increased since the tragedies,
however, but remains at four out of 10 attending worship weekly
and three in five Americans saying that religious faith plays an
important role in their lives, about the same as before
September 11. "What does seem to have changed is that Americans
who were already highly religious are praying more and spending
more time with their families," said David Young in his column
for Scripps Howard News Service. "Overall, Americans express
high respect for all the major faiths: 78 percent for Catholics,
77 percent for Protestants and 75 percent for Jews. Our regard
for Muslims, although much greater than before, lags at 59
percent," Young noted.

He also pointed out that the Pew poll "discovered that,
although one in eight Americans believes that war is never
justified, more than half the pacifists (55 percent) support the
current resistance to terrorism." He quoted Alexis de
Tocqueville who said 170 years ago, "Religion in America takes
no direct part in the government of society, but it must be
regarded as the first of their political institutions. I do not
know whether all Americans have a sincere faith in their
religion for who can search the human heart, but I am certain
that they hold it to be indispensable to the maintenance of
republican institutions."

------