From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

World Council of Churches Responds to Palestinian Churches

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:52:33 EST

For more information contact:
George Awad or
Bishop Munib Younan
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jerusalem
Muristan Road, Old City, Jerusalem
Tel: 972.2.627-6111
Email: ga_elcj@netvision.net.il

    JERUSALEM, March 19, 2002--The Christian communities of Jerusalem and
Palestine have warmly welcomed a message from the World Council of Churches
received here this week.

    The international church organization said "the illegal occupation of
Palestine must come to an end."  The WCC blamed the occupation of Palestinian
territories as "the root of the violence" and said that  "unless this is
addressed, there can be little hope for a just and lasting peace."

    Although many of the Holy Land churches are too small to qualify for
membership in the WCC, the international body responded quickly to a message
of the Christian leaders in Jerusalem for support as violence and
difficulties mounted in recent months.

    The World Council's message came in the form of an "open letter" to all
the member churches around the globe.  The Council called attention to
Israeli incursions into refugee camps in the territories that it has occupied
since 1967, and especially to the difficulties that Palestinians have had
getting medical treatment.

   The Holy Land churches, several of which date back to the first Pentecost,
are regarded by Christians throughout the world as the "mother churches" of
Christendom.  Of the thirteen churches headquartered in Jerusalem, three are
headed by Patriarchs.  All thirteen participate in the Middle East Council of
Churches.

   Writing on behalf of the World Council's Commission on International
Affairs, the Rev. Duane Epps told about of reports of "invasions, occupation
and major physical damage or destruction of church-related and
internationally supported schools and other facilities" at the hands of
Israeli military.

    The open letter also called for "dialogue and common actions with your
Jewish, Muslim and other neighbours who share a common longing for peace and
justice."

   The full text of the WCC letter follows:

Open letter to the member churches
of the World Council of Churches,
regional and national councils of churches
and ecumenical partner organisations

Dear sisters and brothers in Christ,

We have all been watching with growing alarm as, hour by hour, the violent
conflict between Palestinians and Israelis intensifies. The killings,
bombings and destruction continue to escalate in defiance of the repeated
admonitions and appeals of the United Nations, of governments and of people
around the world. Israel is rapidly re-occupying Palestinian lands by
military force, raiding Palestinian refugee camps and engaging in mass
indiscriminate detentions of civilian inhabitants under the most degrading
circumstances. Attacks on medical and rescue staff, coupled with the severe
new restrictions on access to hospitals and other medical facilities, add to
the systematic violations of human rights and international humanitarian law.
In his address to the United Nations Security Council on March 12, secretary
general Kofi Annan emphasized the critical need to end the illegal occupation
and the violence.

The WCC is receiving regular eye-witness reports from Palestinian church
workers about invasions, occupation and major physical damage or destruction
of church-related and internationally supported schools and other facilities.
A number of statements and appeals have also come to us from the Middle East
Council of Churches Department for Service to Palestinian Refugees
(MECC/DSPR) and from other Christian, Muslim and Jewish religious groups and
secular Palestinian and Israeli organizations, pleading for determined
international action, including the deployment of UN monitors, to put a stop
to the escalating violence and to address dire humanitarian needs.

The thirteen Patriarchs and Heads of Churches and Christian communities in
Jerusalem issued a statement on March 9 (attached), expressing their deep
distress at the increasing bloodshed, joining their voices with every
Palestinian and Israeli seeking a just peace. Saying that "Israeli security
is dependant on Palestinian freedom and justice," they call upon Israeli
citizens and the Israeli government to "stop all kinds of destruction and
death caused by the heavy Israeli weaponry, [for the] way the present Israeli
government is dealing with the situation makes neither for security nor for a
just peace". The church leaders also urge the Palestinian people to put "an
end to every kind of violent response", reiterating that the way to peace is
through negotiations. They appeal too, and in particular, to churches around
the world to contact their respective governments to seek their active
involvement in the quest for peace.

The WCC, Action by Churches Together (ACT), APRODEV (WCC-related development
organisations in Europe) and the MECC/DSPR are all seeking to respond to the
humanitarian crisis, and all need your help and support.  Above all, however,
an immediate common effort is required to break through the stagnation of the
international community and to encourage action that corresponds to words.
More than ever, we must hear and respond to the cries of the churches and
bring them to the urgent attention of Christians, our communities, our media
and our governments.

Our united message is clearly stated by the WCC Executive and Central
Committees: the illegal occupation of Palestine must come to an end. It is at
the root of the violence.  Unless this is addressed, there can be little hope
for a just and lasting peace. We therefore urge you to strengthen your
efforts related to the 2002 focus of the Decade to Overcome Violence: "End
the Illegal Occupation of Palestine".

The WCC has also initiated the Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in
Palestine and Israel (EAPPI). Through this, the Council is organising a
continuing international ecumenical presence in Palestine to monitor and
report on human rights violations, offer protection to individuals and
communities, and accompany local Christian and Muslim Palestinians and
Israeli peace activists in their efforts of non-violent resistance to
occupation, closures, and destruction of Palestinian homes and sources of
livelihood. Some Christians and others are already in the area and have
remained present through the current violence. It is hoped that others will
join them soon. We urge you to contact your own national organizing bodies to
offer participation or other forms of support.

In the present circumstances, however, this is not enough to provide the
immediate protection needed. Thus we urge you to apply pressure on your
governments to support proposals that have been brought to the UN Security
Council, and encourage the rapid deployment of an intergovernmental
monitoring body in Palestine.

The churches of Jerusalem have also asked for prayers for peace. The global
fellowship of churches can join together in special prayer vigils and
services of worship with the Christians of Palestine. A collection of prayers
from the local churches has been published by the WCC for use on such
occasions. These prayers and other materials related to the WCC initiatives
are available at www.wcc-coe.org or by mail upon request.

We are not alone in our faith commitments to the peoples caught up in this
tragic conflict.  Thus wherever possible, we encourage you to engage in
dialogue and common actions with your Jewish, Muslim and other neighbours who
share a common longing for peace and justice.

This terrible tragedy of violence and injustice must end. To remain silent
now can only be seen as complicity with the violence, the systematic abuses
of human rights and the refusal, especially by the State of Israel, to abide
by its obligations under international law. Now is the time for each one of
us to speak out and act, fulfilling our Christian vocation as peacemakers.

Dwain C. Epps
Director
Commission of the Churches on International Affairs

-end-