From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jerusalem Churches Receive U.S. Bishop's Letter

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:20:52 EST

Contact:  Fr. Raed Awad Abusahlia
P.O.Box 14152  Jerusalem  91141
Tel.  (972 2) 628.2323 / 627.2280
Fax  (972 2) 627.1652
Personal E-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Latin Patriarchate E-mail: Latinpat@actcom.co.il
Latin Patriarchate's Homepage: http://www.Lpj.org
"Nonviolence Homepage": http://go.to/nonviolence

    Jerusalem, March 15--The Patriarchs and leaders of thirteen historic
churches in the Holy Land have received with appreciation a message from the
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

The statement, seeking to be even-handed, cited both Israeli and Palestinian
actions.  Specifically the American bishops said that "Israeli occupation
cannot be sustained 'militarily or morally' nor can the indiscriminate use of
force in civilian areas. Palestinian attacks on innocent civilians cannot be
tolerated."

"Nothing is gained by demonizing one side or the other in this conflict.  The
human and moral imperative now is for a just peace based on understanding,
repentance, forgiveness, and reconciliation."

They made it clear that "We stand with the Church in the Holy Land."

"We must make clear that attacks on civilians must end, whether they are
carried out in shopping malls by suicide bombers or in refugee camps by
military units," the Bishops said.

    The full text of the statement is as follows:

Statement on Israeli-Palestinian Violence
Administrative Committee
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
March 13, 2002

The horrible cycle of violence, occupation, and terror in the Middle East
must be brought to an end.  Every day, more Palestinians and Israelis lose
their lives, and every day, many more are losing their hopes for a future of
dignity, security and peace.

We call on Catholics in this nation to join with us in fervent prayer and
greater advocacy for a just peace between Israelis and Palestinians.  As
citizens, we urge our government to use every means to persuade leaders on
both sides to turn away from actions which permit, incite or employ violence
and to return to the search for peace based on mutual respect and equal
justice for Palestinians and Israelis.  Nothing is gained by demonizing one
side or the other in this conflict.  The human and moral imperative now is
for a just peace based on understanding, repentance, forgiveness, and
reconciliation.

It is clearer now than ever before that the status-quo is unacceptable.
Israeli occupation cannot be sustained "militarily or morally" nor can the
indiscriminate use of force in civilian areas.  Palestinian attacks on
innocent civilians cannot be tolerated, both because they are morally
indefensible and because they undermine the legitimate claims of the
Palestinian people. This deadly cycle of action and reaction, suicide
bombing, and aggressive attacks must be ended.

As we said in our statement last June, sustained U.S. leadership, in
cooperation with others in the international community, is required to
encourage, persuade and insist that both parties take the steps necessary to
end the violence, rapidly resolve the differences between them and begin to
live in peace together.

We must make clear that attacks on civilians must end, whether they are
carried out in shopping malls by suicide bombers or in refugee camps by
military units.

We must insist that the parties embrace an immediate cease-fire and return to
the arduous task of negotiating a just peace, without delay or
pre-conditions. Only negotiation can lead to an end to violence and
occupation, a secure state for Israel and a viable state for Palestinians.

We hope the return to the region of General Anthony Zinni, the encouraging
proposals from Saudi Arabia, and elements of the Mitchell and Tenet reports
can provide the basis for new and urgent diplomatic efforts to replace bloody
conflict with serious dialogue based in respect for relevant UN resolutions,
such as that just approved by the Security Council, and other provisions of
international law.

Real peace and security will not come from terror or tanks, but only from a
determination to find the ways for both Israelis and Palestinians to live
together with dignity, justice and peace.

We stand with the Church in the Holy Land, which has not escaped the
violence, as evidenced by the damage inflicted on Bethlehem University, St.
Joseph's School, the Creche maternity clinic and other church institutions.

We join with leaders of the Christian community in the Holy Land in their
haunting question: "Is this the future that we all want for our children?"
We share their conviction that "the key to a just peace is in the hands of
both the Israeli Government and the Palestinian Authority.  War, shelling,
and destruction will not bring justice and security; rather, it will
intensify hatred and bitterness."  We share their belief "that Israeli and
Palestinian peoples are called to be partners in an historic peace."

Speaking out of the tragic circumstances of this ongoing conflict, the
Christian leaders of the Holy Land have said: "Our prayers for peace are more
urgently needed than ever."  May Catholics throughout this nation join us in
imploring God for justice, peace and reconciliation in the land we call
"holy."

May we heed the words of the Psalmist: "I will hear what God proclaims; for
He proclaims peace to his people, and to his faithful ones, and to those who
put in Him their hope" (Ps 85, 9).

-end-