From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Malagasy Churches Supported by Three U.S. Church Leaders

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:26:26 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 21, 2002

MALAGASY CHURCHES SUPPORTED BY THREE U.S. CHURCH LEADERS
02-055-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In a joint letter issued March 19, leaders of
three U.S. Protestant church bodies, including the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA), pledged to carry their concerns about a
continuing election controversy in Madagascar to U.S. government
officials.  U.S. church leaders also asked Malagasy church officials how
sister churches in the United States may be helpful to the people of
Madagascar "in their call for justice."
     Since a Dec. 16 presidential election in Madagascar, there has
been uncertainty over the outcome. Challenger Marc Ravalomanana has said
he won, claiming government unfairness denied him a victory.  The
Malagasy government said neither Ravalomanana nor longtime President
Didier Ratsiraka won a majority. It set a runoff election for later this
month, though Ravalomanana said he will not participate.  Violence and
work stoppages have occurred in parts of Madagascar in recent weeks.
     The letter was signed by the top elected leaders of each of the
three U.S. churches.  They are the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding
bishop; the Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold, presiding bishop, Episcopal
Church USA; and the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, stated clerk of the
general assembly, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
     The letter was addressed to the Rev. Benjamin Rabenorolahy,
president, Malagasy Lutheran Church; the Most Rev. Remi Joseph
Rabenirina, archbishop and primate, Church of the Indian Ocean, and
bishop, Anglican Diocese of Antananarivo; and the Rev. Edmond
Razafinahefa, president, Church of Jesus Christ in Madagascar.
     Combined membership of the Malagasy churches is about 10 million
members, including 2 million members of the Malagasy Lutheran Church.
The U.S. churches also represent about 10 million members.
     "We greet you, mindful of the faithful and united witness of your
churches in these troubled times in our society," the U.S. church
leaders said.  "We press our solidarity with you as you fulfill your
prophetic and pastoral responsibilities in the gospel of our Lord in
this time of crisis."
     The U.S. church leaders said they would address U.S. government
and civil leaders so "that the will of the Malagasy people expressed in
the December elections may be heard."
     "We are mindful that the 10 million members of your churches seek
and pray that God's will for all people may be realized," the letter
said.  "We are encouraging the 10 million members of our churches to
uphold in prayer your leadership, your church members, and the people
and civil leaders in Madagascar.  It is a prayer of intercession that
justice and peace may prevail for all."
     The ELCA maintains a full communion relationship with the
Episcopal Church, USA, and Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).  With full
communion, the churches agree to share ministries and in certain
circumstances may exchange clergy.

For information contact: