From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: Africa University in post-election Zimbabwe

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:35:47 -0600

March 22, 2002 News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn. 10-31-71BP{127}

NOTE: A head-and-shoulders photo of Celinda J. Hughes is available at
http://umns.umc.org/photos/headshots.html.

A UMNS Commentary
By Celinda J. Hughes*

Many people continue to wonder about the safety of travel to Zimbabwe and
United Methodist-related Africa University. Such concern is understandable
in light of the recent pre-election activity and post-election results.

Africa University is conducting the business of educating young people for
leadership. It is nearing the end of the term, students are completing their
teaching practices, and others on attachments are coming to a close of their
work experiences. The Information Office, where I work, has been busier than
usual because of the demand for an assessment of the political climate and
for as much information as possible about the situation in Zimbabwe.

Let me assure readers as best I can that Africa University is relatively
fine. I say "relatively" because we are suffering along with the rest of the
country from the lack of sugar, "mealie meal" for sadza (staple food),
cooking oil and other essential items. If supplies are announced anywhere,
the word spreads like wildfire and people leave work, school and home for
the possibility of buying something for their families. A colleague shared
with me a situation in which a woman went to one location at 4 a.m. for
mealie meal and stayed in line until 3 that afternoon. She did not get
mealie meal.

Although we have had a few days of good rain, it is late in the season, and
the maize (corn) in most fields is already lost. Because of the drought, the
food supply normally available this time of the year has not been produced.
As a result, children are going to school hungry and they return to homes
that have no food.

Recently, I traveled to Harare, where we are completing the first Africa
University promotional/recruitment video. The city was unusually calm. I was
surprised since Sunday, March 17, was the inauguration of President Robert
Mugabe. I moved around the city on foot, observed the people and listened to
various personal post-election editorials. Many people are depressed. A
young Zimbabwean businessman said, "I was so sick I could not work."

There were hopes for the situation in Zimbabwe to improve through a change
in leadership. Many shopkeepers, businesses and small cooperatives that use
indigenous labor were holding their breath about the future. Now that they
can exhale, the future for some is unclear. A clerk in a local gift boutique
in Harare said, "The owners are not doing much ordering now because they are
not sure they will stay. The tourist business is not very good, and the
economy seems to be getting worse."

Eleven members of the Africa University staff are from the United States. We
see one another regularly and often discuss the concerns that come from
home. Our response to those concerns is usually the same: "We are doing
fine." However, we realize our attempts to convey this message may not be
enough to comfort everyone.

Many church people in the United States are questioning whether they can
honor commitments to attend board meetings, complete church Volunteer In
Mission projects, visit during 10th anniversary celebrations or share
resources as visiting lecturers and educational professionals, etc. To those
we say: Come and see for yourself. Come to Zimbabwe. Come to Africa
University.  We need you to help tell the story about the positive things
happening at Africa University. We need you to help us let the light of this
institution shine.

The day the election results were announced, Tyanai Maysia, administrative
assistant to the vice chancellor, said to me, "You don't seem to be bothered
by our elections in Zimbabwe. You keep working. You just worked right
through them."

"You are wrong," I replied. "I am very concerned. But if I allow myself to
dwell on the negative, I will become ineffective." I explained that my way
to rebel against the situation is to work hard and do my part to make Africa
University strong.

The political, economic and social condition of Zimbabwe has evolved over
decades. However, as an institution of hope, we have the opportunity to
celebrate a decade of transforming Africa by doing what we are good at:
producing strong leaders for this continent.

Unfair, unjust and frustrating events are happening in Zimbabwe. I don't
have to replay what the media are saying. Many things are true. But the
situation at Africa University is different from other places, and that can
only be attributed to the presence of a higher power.

"Zimbabwe is like two different countries," said Andrew Manyau, a lecturer
in the faculty (department) of humanities and social sciences. "In one part
of the country, if you give someone a bag of maize, they will be happy
because they can prepare sadza, pick something from the bush to go along
with it and get a full stomach. But if you give a bag of maize to someone in
other parts of the country," he continued, "especially in the city areas,
the person may refuse saying, 'I don't want a handout. I want the
opportunities, education and training to get my own.'"

Most of the university's staff lives in and around the Mutare city center.
We are not exposed to the rural areas on a daily basis. There has been
violence in these areas and some isolated situations on the periphery of the
city. Those of us here can only report what we know as truth.

Because Zimbabwe is vast geographically, we are not able to tell you what is
happening throughout the country. However, we can share the following:
7	Visitors safely land at Harare International Airport. University
officials returned from an international trip last week.
7	The campus has not been invaded by anyone but local and
international visitors, construction workers completing the faculty of
theology building, university graduates and prospective students, and other
visitors such as the Angolan ambassador, His Excellency Joaquim Augustino de
Lemos, who met with staff and students on March 22.
7	 Traveling across Zimbabwe is safe. University faculty and staff
safely travel to and from Harare at least three times at week.
7	The university has not received any reports of violence to faculty,
staff or students.
7	University staff and citizens pass safely through the roadblocks in
town and on the roads leading out of Mutare.
7	The university is planning to launch its 10th-anniversary
celebration April 3.
7	The university is a community of faith.

During my trip to Harare, I interviewed one of our students on attachment
with the Crowne Plaza Hotel. Martha Gwashure, a third-year Zimbabwean
student in the faculty of management and administration said, "Africa
University isn't only made of Zimbabwean students. It is made of a lot of
cultures - Angolan, Mozambican, Sierra Leoneans - so many different
cultures.

"This brings about an understanding among the students," she said. "We don't
so much think of our problems as just Zimbabwean students but as an African
kind of problem. When we stand up in class, we don't just look at Zimbabwean
problems, issues or trade; we look at it as African.

"I think that actually dilutes the whole problem in Zimbabwe," she said. "If
you come to Africa University, you think you are in another country. We
don't get affected that much by what goes on in the country. We are
sensitive in a more quiet and peaceful way."

When asked what she would say to the United Methodist Church, Martha said,
"Africa University is the beginning of a peaceful environment. And I'm glad
it is in Zimbabwe."
									# #
#
*Hughes, a staff member of United Methodist Communications, is Africa
University's interim director of information.

Commentaries provided by United Methodist News Service do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of UMNS or the United Methodist Church.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org