From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Letter from Anglican Bishop in Jerusalem 20 March 2002

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sat, 23 Mar 2002 10:08:18 -0800

ACNS 2909 - MIDDLE EAST - 20 March 2002

A letter from Jerusalem

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Salaam and grace in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ and blessed greetings
to you from Jerusalem.

We in the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem are desperately concerned as the
situation in the Land of the Holy One continues to deteriorate almost by the
hour, bringing with it tragic loss of life, innumerable injustices and the
damage and destruction of infrastructure, hospitals, schools and the homes
of innocent people, among them our own people. We call upon all our partners
and friends to do all that is in their power to bring an end to this pain
and suffering in our homeland. The recent hostilities as well as the
reoccupation of liberated Palestinian towns and villages has proved
catastrophic and tragic for both parties. No one with common sense believes
that a whole nation can be controlled with the power of the gun. Justice is
the only possible way. The root cause of all of this is the occupation and
the Israeli occupation must come to an end.

At present we are faced with a total disregard for the suffering of so many
of our people. The recent incursion of tanks and military personnel into
many of the Palestinian towns and cities has caused an enormous amount of
suffering. In Bethlehem, 3000 people recently gathered in Manger Square from
neighbouring refugee camps. Local organisations were being asked to help
feed them. A Lutheran school was occupied and missiles hit Bethlehem
University - which is a Roman Catholic institution - causing its closure.
All electrical power was cut to two Ramallah hospitals during the height of
fighting, leading many to great harm from lack of emergency health care.

I have just returned from visiting Ramallah, shortly after the Israeli tanks
pulled out of the city centre. One of my priests, The Revd George Al-Kopti,
who is in charge of the parish of St. Andrew's in Ramallah, reported the
situation in the city during the aftermath of the Israeli incursion. He
said, "About 150 tanks entered the city, occupying every corner and
preventing movement, even movement of the injured to the hospitals and
clinics in town. They occupied houses and apartment buildings, asking
families to congregate in one house with no regard to their age or their
health. Cars that belong to families of the parish were destroyed by tanks."
He adds, "The children of the Evangelical Home lived for a few days of fear
and trauma. We had three days of severe imprisonment, without the ability to
move or even provide ourselves with food."

It was chilling to see the apartments that the occupying soldiers had marked
with a large spray painted X, reminiscent of the markings the Nazi forces
used to identify Jewish families. One of the apartment buildings that was
taken over included the flat of Mrs Patricia Rantisi, the widow of the late
Revd Audeh Rantisi. She is a 70-year-old British citizen. Kent Wilkens, a
Canadian friend staying with Mrs Rantisi reports on the situation after the
invasion of the building by soldiers. He says, "We have adequate food
supplies. The Ramallah water has been cut so we will run out of water in
this flat in a day or so. We still have electricity. We are not allowed to
set foot in the hall. We are 13 adults, including two elderly, and 10
children from 18 months old to 10 years. Two of the adults are physicians
who work at Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem. They are denied the
ability to reach their hospitals, and cannot telephone their patients, or
have their patients telephone them." He concludes, "The soldiers have no
need to hold four families as hostages to accomplish their so called
security."

The ongoing conflict has had a dramatic effect on the work of the Church in
the Land of the Holy One. Every one of our institutions and parishes has
felt the crushing economic repercussions of the situation. When the new
century began we looked towards an increase in our joy. Unfortunately this
has not been the case and we watch as the quality of the lives of our
friends and colleagues spirals downward into increasingly more difficult
circumstances.

Our ministry would not be possible without the support and prayers of our
countless friends throughout the world. Knowing that you stand with us makes
an immense difference in our lives and our ministries. We are greatly
encouraged by the number of people who have written us, to express their
solidarity and offer their prayers. Let us all come together, and join hands
and efforts. I challenge you to speak out on behalf of the people of this
Land: to your families; your friends; your co-workers and neighbours; your
politicians and your government leaders. We pray for peace with justice,
justice with truth and truth with righteousness, as well as for the safety
and protection of all people. Peace is the only alternative left. This can
only be a peace established in truth and justice, in accordance with the
United Nations resolutions 242, 338 and 194. The best security comes from
reconciled neighbours.

Know that this comes with our prayers and our gratitude for all you have
been doing to help us stand firm in our commitment to His calling. May you
be richly blessed.

In Christ,

The Rt Revd Riah Abu El-Assal

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org