From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jews, Muslims and Christians Fast for Peace in Holy Land

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:42:26 EST

For Further information contact:

Fr. Raed Awad Abusahlia
P.O.Box 14152  Jerusalem  91141
Tel.  (972 2) 628.2323 / 627.2280
Fax  (972 2) 627.1652
Personal E-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Latin Patriarchate E-mail: Latinpat@actcom.co.il
Latin Patriarchate's Homepage: http://www.Lpj.org
"Nonviolence Homepage": http://go.to/nonviolence

JERUSALEM, March 25, 2002--  Palestinians and Israelis--Christians, Jews and
Muslim--are fasting for peace here.

The purpose of the concerted action is to take immediate steps to end
violence and restore security cooperation, to rebuild reciprocal confidence,
and to return immediately and unconditionally to meaningful negotiations.

A call has been made on all those who advocate peace in the Middle East,
Palestinians, Israelis, people all over the world to support a Fast for Peace
beginning on March 25 until the goal is reached, to convince the Israeli and
Palestinian governments to stop all forms of violence from both sides, to
return back to the negotiation table and implement the Mitchell Plan.

The initiative begins with the spring holidays of Easter and Passover, and at
a time when there is pressure from the United States and the European Union
to resolve the conflict.

It will take place at the Bethlehem check-point between Bethlehem and
Jerusalem and seeks to be a demonstration of unity being organised by a group
of Jews, Muslims and Christians.

The Fast for Peace has been planned by Prof. Sami Adwan of Bethlehem
University; Father Raed Abusahlia, chancellor of the Latin Patriarch
Jerusalem; and US born Linda Livni, a writer from Jerusalem.

Other organizers are Prof. Dan Bar-On, Ben Gurion University; Dr. Philip
Veerman, Defense for Children Israel; Samil Taha, Palestinian businessman and
Prof. Avraham Sela of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

In a message welcoming world wide adhesion, the organizers say "we believe
that until this conflict is resolved none of us are free. The Fast for Peace
is our method of demonstrating our desire to change direction, to return to
the promise of peace and bring a speedy end to our suffering".

They conclude by saying "Let our message be clear: we are starving for
peace".

"We are happy to see the recent proliferation of peace activities as these
are the voices of peace which we hope will continue to grow until the melody
echoes throughout the world."

Meanwhile the Israeli peace movement Peace Now, after carrying out an
investigation, says that since the election of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in
February 2001, in the West Bank 34 new areas for Jewish settlements have been
identified.   (Fides 22/3/2002)

-end-