From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Chia Yi Christian Hospital Opens Center for Autistic Children

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:28:05 -0800

Taiwan Church News 2612, March 24, 2002

Reported  by Meng Jie-tai,  Written by David Alexander

    Celebrations were held on March 18th to herald the opening of
a center for Autistic Children at Chia-yi Christian Hospital in
South Central Taiwan.  The center offers daycare to patients
under six years of age, with comprehensive medical, and
psychological rehabilitative therapy and social work services. It
is the first of its kind in the region.  The hospital seeks to
reach out to the region comprising Chia-yi and Yun-lin counties
with these services.
    Hospital superintendent Dr. Chen Sheng-ren pointed out, "This
center has been on our list of dreams for a long time. We hope by
offering early treatment we can combine the strengths of our
neurology, social work and psychological services departments to
offer therapy to and space for the children of this region.
    Head of the hospital's neurology department, Dr. Hau Yu-ming
said, "Children grow by processes of mental recognition, physical
development, language ability, psycho social development and self
knowledge. It is a step by step thing. Some developmental
problems fall into the categories of mental retardation or
hyperactivity.  But autism is neither of these. The
children we have set up to care for live in their own internal
world, often not allowing others to enter into their hearts or
feelings. To outsiders it is as if one has encountered tiny
particles moving at a distance, or "satellite children".  The
hospital has named its
center "Sparks of Love Children's Development Center"
    The center currently has nine children enrolled for its
services.

For more information: Chia Yi Christian Hospital
                                   Tel: +886 5 276 5041

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Chinese
Visit our web site:  www.pctpress.com.tw