From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Good Friday Via Dolorosa from Palestinian Conflict Resolution Center

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:48:32 EST

For Further information contact:

Fr. Raed Awad Abusahlia
P.O.Box 14152  Jerusalem  91141
Tel.  (972 2) 628.2323 / 627.2280
Fax  (972 2) 627.1652
Personal E-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Latin Patriarchate E-mail: Latinpat@actcom.co.il
Latin Patriarchate's Homepage: http://www.Lpj.org
"Nonviolence Homepage": http://go.to/nonviolence

JERUSALEM, March 25, 2002--Following is the text of a medititation for a Good
Friday "Way of the Cross" prepared by the staff of the Wi'am Center of
Bethlehem.  (Wi'am translates as "Conflict Resolution".)  The Wi'am Center
uses traditional Palestinian village methods together with contemporary
approaches for the resolution of conflict among members of the three faiths
in the Holy Land.

A Palestinian Via Dolorosa Meditation
Written by WI'AM Center in Bethlehem

The figure of Virgin Mary is a symbol target of terrorism.

A statue of the Virgin Mary at Bethlehem's Holy Family Hospital was exposed
to assassination on Thursday March 14, 2002 by the Israeli occupation forces.
 It received a lot of shelling.  The act demonstrated blind hatred, racism
and terrorism.

The damages of the shelling to the French Hospital from Israeli tanks and
sniper fire are estimated $25,000.  In all, seven hospitals were shot at.

As we struggle to gain basic rights, freedom, and recognition, we liken
ourselves to the 14 Stations of the Cross.  The Via Dolorsa in the Old City
of Jerusalem represents our daily week of suffering; pain and torture.

1. The Palestinians are condemned.
We are labeled as fundamentalist and terrorist. These prefixes are used to
condemn and distort our image.

2. We are taking the heaviest Cross.
The Palestinians are called to walk in the footsteps of the humble cross-
bearing Christ. Each and every one of us has his / her daily cross to bear to
be worthy to share our Saviour's glory!!

3. The first attack.
1948 was the first catastrophe.  Automatically we have become the victims of
the victims of the Holocaust.  We are the indirect victims of the holocaust;
483 villages were leveled and 726,000 Palestinians became refugees. The total
value losses of destroyed or confiscated property are estimated at US $209
billion.

4. Our people sought refuge in the Arab Land and everywhere.
50 % of Palestinian refugees in Diaspora are not registered with UNRWA; 3.8
million refugees were registered with UNRWA.  There are 3,874,738 refugees in
59 refugee camps.  50,000 Palestinians overstayed their Israeli exit permits
while abroad and are not allowed by Israel to return!

5. Lebanon helps to carry our cross/ Iraqi children weep with us.
Love of God and of neighbor marks the true disciple of humanity.  Lebanon was
a very close neighbor who by design or default carries with us part of the
cross.  In spite of the wars against the Iraqi people, our tears have been
wiped by Iraq to confront our sorrow, which has raised the spirit of the
bereaved families.

6. International NGOs and Church Related Organizations Sponge us with Vinegar.
International NGOs and Church Related Organizations mitigate our burden
through their prophetic voices and actions.

7. The Second attack.
1967 was the second catastrophe! 300,000 Palestinian were displaced and again
became refugees, 3 villages were leveled.

8. The Palestinians speak to the World through the UN.
In an attempt to raise the awareness of the world to the Palestinian issue,
Yasser Arafat addressed the United Nations in 1974 asking them to implement
UN resolutions and not to let the olive branch fall from our hands.

9. The Third attack.
The Israeli invasion to Lebanon and Sabra & Shatela Massacre in 1982 was an
attempt of the Israeli government to liquidate our cause.

10. We are stripped of our clothes.
Our land has been taken, our water has been usurped, and our holy places have
been desecrated.

11. We are nailed to the Cross
We have been nailed to the Cross many times lately in the Al Aqsa Intifada.
Figures talk louder than words!! There have been 1,162 deaths including 103
assassinations.  84.5% of those deaths have been civilian.  20,000
Palestinians have been injured with 35.7% of the injured children.  Also,
there have been 3 physicians killed, 1 Palestinian Red Crescent Society
(PRCS) driver killed, 116 PRCS Emergency Medical technicians injured, and 60
PRSC ambulances hit by live ammunition. 1000 Palestinians were detained from
inside the Green line, 1850 Palestinians detained from Jerusalem, the Gaza
Strip, and the West Bank; 900 are still in prison.

12. The Palestinian people are dying on the Cross.
The West Bank is divided into 120 clusters and Gaza Strip into 3
reservations.  120 Israeli checkpoints in WB and GS divide us into 220
separate reservations. 580 houses were demolished completely and 6,534 houses
have been destroyed partially. 400 buildings, 30 mosques and 12 churches have
received extensive damage.

13. Palestinians are taken from the Cross--to hide the Israeli Crimes.
In an attempt to silence our voice, the Israeli occupation imposes sanction
and siege on our people.  Total income losses to Palestinian economy:
$2.4-3.2 billion daily; domestic losses:  $6.0-8.6 million; total wage income
loss on daily level $59.4 million; unemployment: Gaza: 48%; West Bank:
31.51%.  In addition, 46% of Palestinians live in poverty on less than $2 a
day.  69% of the Palestinian firms have shut down or are reduced. There has
been a 51% drop in GNP. Israel prevents125, 000 Palestinians from going to
work.

14. We are laid in the Tomb.
Prime Minister Arik Sharon thought he would bury our cause.  He shut down 6
schools, a further 66 schools and 10 universities were disrupted.  Bethlehem
University was shelled several times. 142 schools were shelled and fired at;
29 schools raided; 132 students killed; 2,390 injured, 1,145 school days so
far have been lost because of the Israeli attacks!  All UN Security Council
and General Assembly resolutions have been ignored.

Mr. Sharon wants to bring us to our knees; I hope his war will bring his
government to its senses and not delaying the inevitable Palestinian State
side- by-side with Israel.

WE ARE CERTAIN THAT THE SPIKES OF THE CROSS-WILL BE TURNED INTO SPIKES OF
WHEAT AND WE MAY HAVE BECOME LIKE THE PHOENIX AND RISE FROM THE ASHES.

-end-