From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Latin Catholic Commission Calls for End to Israeli Occupation

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:12:54 EST

Contact:  Justice and Peace Commission,
Notre Dame of Jerusalem Center
Box 20459,
Jerusalem
Telephone and Fax: 972.2.628.7719
Email:  justpax@netvision.net.il

JERUSALEM, March 26, 2002--The internationally staffed, but Jerusalem-based
Latin Catholic Justice and Peace Commission has issued Easter greetings that
are both grim in detail and theologically hopeful.

        The offices of the Commission are located just outside the ancient
walls of Jerusalem's Old City, in the historic Notre Dame of Jerusalem
Center.  Their Easter 2002 message, issued here this week, reflects on the
experiences of Jews and Muslims as well as Christians who live in both Israel
and Palestine.

        The Commission's report notes that "mutual violence and death seem to
prevail everywhere. Innocent people are killed everyday."

        But the Commission concludes that "violence cannot bring a lasting
solution.  Only by tackling the basic issue that is at the root of the whole
problem once and for all will some hope for the future be possible."

         Like other international bodies, the Commission says that "it is
absolutely necessary to recognize the military occupation of the Palestinian
Territories by Israel for what it is and put an end to it."

        The Commission observes that "after so much violence and bloodshed,
Palestinians and Israelis are not able to overcome the present deadlock
without the active involvement of an assertive third party."  It calls on the
United States of America and the European Union to take initiatives.

        The full text of the statement follows:

EASTER  GREETINGS  FROM  THE  HOLY  LAND

        At this Easter Season, in the midst of a very dark and painful
situation, we, members of the Justice and Peace Commission in Jerusalem, send
you our most sincere greetings and wishes.

    In the Holy Land we are at present living a very peculiar Holy Week.
Never since 1967 have the Palestinian experienced so much oppression,
hardship, humiliation and hopelessness.  We have the feeling that we reached
the depths of tragedy.  It is impossible to go on like this.

        Oppression, injustice, mutual violence and death seem to prevail
everywhere.  Innocent people are killed everyday.  Many fear for their own
life and that of their dear ones.  All observers agree that there is no
military solution, nevertheless the deadly spiral of occupation, resistance,
reprisal and renewed violence continues.

        For many months now, the Israeli military checkpoints are virtual
frontiers that subdivide the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, making mobility
between one town or village and the other practically impossible and in fact
very dangerous.

        The continuous harassements at these checkpoints and the targeted
killings of so-called Palestinian militants have created an unbearable and
explosive atmosphere.

        The economic situation of the Palestinian society has become
disastrous and a great number of families are without any source of income.
Sadness, disappointment, frustration and desperate acts of resistance are the
direct consequences.

    The recent massive invasions by the Israeli Army into Palestinian towns,
villages and refugee camps, with the indiscriminate use of heavy and
sophisticated weaponry, have caused numerous deaths and terrorized the entire
Palestinian population, particularly to women and children. Hundreds of young
men were rounded up, humiliated in public and taken away from their families.

        Huge unwarranted damage was caused to public buildings, clinics,
schools and private houses.  For instance, the Catholic University in
Bethlehem and the Latin Parish School in Gaza have suffered heavy impacts by
teleguided missiles.

        We have reached a moment of truth.  If Israelis and Palestinians -
and the international community with them - want to find a solution, they
have to face reality and to tackle the real problems.

        The State of Israel is internationally recognized within its pre-1967
borders, on 78% of the Mandate territory.  Now it is time to recognize a
fully independent Palestinian State on the remaining 22%, with
internationally established borders, and to find a solution for the
Palestinian refugee problem, according to the relevant UN resolutions.  True
security for Israel will come with the full recognition of the rights of the
Palestinian people.

        Violence cannot bring a lasting solution. It is time to start serious
negociations with clearly defined objectives and a built-in verification
process. Only by tackling the basic issue that is at the root of the whole
problem once and for all will some hope for the future be possible.

        It is absolutely necessary to recognize the military occupation of
the Palestinian Territories by Israel for what it is and put an end to it.
The responsibility to take the first step in that direction lies with Israel
as the occupying and overwhelmingly most powerful party.

        After so much violence and bloodshed, Palestinians and Israelis are
not able to overcome the present deadlock without the active involvement of
an assertive third party.   The United States of America and the European
Union bear a heavy responsibility in this.

        In spite of the sadness that the current situation instils in our
hearts, we wish the message of the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ to
reinvigorate all of us in our striving for a true and lasting peace, with
justice and dignity for all.  May peace eventually prevail in this Holy Land.
  We count on your thoughts, yours prayers, your solidarity, and greet you
with our traditional Easter greeting:

"Christ is Risen!" - "He is truly Risen!"

Justice and Peace Commission,
Jerusalem, Holy Week 2002
Notre Dame of Jerusalem Center
Jerusalem