From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jerusalem Church Leaders Say Faith, not Weapons, Brings Peace

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:53:23 EST

For information contact:

Contact:  Fr. Raed Awad Abusahlia
P.O.Box 14152  Jerusalem  91141
Tel.  (972 2) 628.2323 / 627.2280
Fax  (972 2) 627.1652
Personal E-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Latin Patriarchate E-mail: Latinpat@actcom.co.il
Latin Patriarchate's Homepage: http://www.Lpj.org
"Nonviolence Homepage": http://go.to/nonviolence

          JERUSALEM, March 27, 2002---From a city wracked by violence and
warfare, the Patriarchs and heads of Christian communities in Israel and
Palestine have sent a message of hope to the world.

          Speaking increasingly with a single voice, the leaders of the
historic churches of the Holy Land have again looked beyond the violence of
the Israeli state and of desperate Palestinians to the promise of the faith
shared by fellow Christians around the globe.

          Specifically, they said that "The triumph [Jesus] achieved that
first Holy Week and Easter did not arise from human strength but rather from
the strength that comes from God."

          The full text of their statement follows:

Easter Message 2002
From
THE PATRIARCHS AND HEADS OF CHURCHES IN JERUSALEM

     bNow I know that the Lord saves his anointed and answers him from his
holy heaven with mighty victories from his own right handb (Psalm 20.6)

         When Jesus entered the City of Jerusalem that first Palm Sunday he
was fulfilling prophecy written some five hundred years before his birth.
The Prophet had told that he would be both victorious and triumphant as he
rode humbly on a donkey.  Moreover, he was to banish chariots and horses as
well us the bow of war.  Ultimately he was to proclaim peace to the nations
so that his empire would stretch from sea to see.

         Many people today would imagine that to be victorious and triumphant
our King would need a mighty army and a great show of strength.  Indeed, in
many areas of the world human beings still want to use force to achieve their
own ends regardless of this effect on the lives of others.

         Our own land has experienced a great deal of bloodshed and violence
especially in these past months. But to what avail?  A great deal of work is
needed to bring peace, justice and harmony.

         But then the way of Jesus is quite different.  The triumph he
achieved that first Holy Week and Easter did not arise from human strength
but rather from the strength that comes from God.

         Through his strength we can learn to triumph even when the going is
rough.  Far from seeking the comfortable aspects of religion we must
recognize that, like the early followers of Jesus, we must take up our cross
and follow him even though we are surrounded by human weapons.

         We too need to imitate the humble submission of Jesus to the Father
in all the varied circumstances of our lives.     The uplift we experience in
our worship together - when we feel so close to him - must be discovered in
times of frustration, sadness, and difficulties. The temptation is to close
the door on him; even, at times, to think he does not care.

         The Cross should remind us that it is in this sign we conquer. From
the Cross Jesus declared. "It is finished" (John 19.30)   He had triumphed
over evil.

         Then, in the midst of so much chaos and confusion came the
Resurrection.  The world and mankind, with all its hatred and bitterness, had
failed to destroy the Prince of Peace.  In the days that followed,  Jesus
reassured his disciples that he would be with them to the end of times.

         At this Holy Season we urge all our Christian brothers and sisters
to take heart through the sufferings of Christ and work to establish his
kingdom in which love, joy and peace triumph.  That kingdom also requires
that we re-echo more words of Jesus used before his death. "Father, forgive
them, they know not what they do" (Luke 23.34)

         Needless to say, we are deeply concerned for the hungry; the
homeless and those who are unemployed.  We share your concern for the injured
- many of whom will need a great deal of medical care well in to the future -
and we offer our condolences to all who have been bereaved.

         All we want for each one of you is that you may "know Christ and the
power of his Resurrection" (Philippians 3.10).

Signed by the  the Heads of the thirteen traditional
Churches in Jerusalem:

+   Patriarch Irinaios:
     Greek Orthodox Patriarchate

+   Patriarch Michel Sabbah:
    Latin Patriarchate.

+   Patriarch Torkom II:
    Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Patriarchate.

+   Ignatius VIII Pierre Abdul-Ahad:
    Syrian Catholic Patriarch.

    Father Giovanni Battistelli:
    Custody of the Holy Land.

+   Anba Abraham:
    Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate.

+   Swerios Malki Mourad:
    Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate.

+   Abba Gabriel:
    Ethiopian Orthodox Patriarchate.

+   Riah Abu Al-Assal:
    Bishop, Episcopal Church of Jerusalem & the Middle East.

+   Munib Younan:
    Bishop, Lutheran Evangelical Church.

+   Maximus Sallum:
    Greek Catholic (Melkite) Patriarchal Exarchate.

+   Paul Nabil Sayyah:
    Maronite Patriarchal Exarchate.

+   AndrC) Dikran Bedoghlyan:
    Armenian Catholic Patriarchal Exarcate.