From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christians in Holy Land Set Hope for Peace on the Post-Sharon Era

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:31:22 EST

For Information, Contact:
Fr. Raed Awad Abusahlia
P.O.Box 14152  Jerusalem  91141
Tel.  (972 2) 628.2323 / 627.2280
Fax  (972 2) 627.1652
Personal E-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Latin Patriarchate E-mail: Latinpat@actcom.co.il
Latin Patriarchate's Homepage: http://www.Lpj.org
"Nonviolence Homepage": http://go.to/nonviolence

Latin Patriarch and Archbishop of Canterbury Meet

JERUSALEM, March 21, 2002--The Rome-based Zenit press service reported today
that Christians in the Holy Land--most of whom are Palestinians--hope that
the current U.S. mediation in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict will be
fruitful, although they believe the results will not come during Ariel
Sharon's government.

     Father Raed Abusahlia of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem expressed
this conviction and also commented on Wednesday's meeting between Patriarch
Michel Sabbah and Dr. George Carey, Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury.

     Father Abusahlia said that people in the Holy Land are talking about
opportunities for a cease-fire, following the intervention of General Anthony
Zinni, the U.S. envoy, and the visit by Vice President Dick Cheney.

     "I am optimistic because there is a real chance, but I am afraid that
this will take a long time because they will get lost in tiny unessential
details instead of dealing vigorously with the main issues of ending
occupation and reaching a final and comprehensive peace agreement," Father
Abusahlia explained.

     "This will be impossible with the Sharon government," he insisted.
"Therefore, we still have to wait until a new generation comes to power,
hoping that it will be different. There are signs of hope."

     Referring to the meeting between Dr. Carey and the Latin Patriarch, the
priest said: "I am certain that religion will play a positive and reconciling
role in this region where all the three monotheistic religions were born."

     Father Abusahlia said he had just returned from a pastoral visit to a
small parish near Jifna, where he celebrated the feast of St. Joseph.

     "We experienced the difficulties of living here, as each village is
almost completely closed off from neighboring villages and cities, and thus
becomes a giant prison for the people," he said.

     "The new policy of the Israeli army is to remove the soldiers from most
of the checkpoints," the priest continued. "Instead, all of the entrances and
exits of each village are blocked by huge cement blocks or deep trenches dug
across the roads. This new policy greatly complicates freedom of movement and
increases the danger of soldiers accidentally shooting walkers from their
hidden high watch points in the hills."

     The above danger has become "a serious concern if one has to travel
after sunset, as we did today," Father Abusahlia added.  "We risk being
stopped by soldiers hidden in tanks in the middle of the road.  They are
afraid to stand guard at a checkpoint because of the danger of ambush.
Remaining in their tanks is a new measure for their safety.  They apparently
are not concerned about our safety."

     "At a checkpoint, we risk our lives if we make the wrong move because
all the guns are pointed at us while they check our documents and our car.
We passed safely tonight, but our dear friend Dr. Sari Nusseibah's car was
shot at Qalandia checkpoint, but thank God he was not harmed," the priest
exclaimed.

     "Many innocent people have been killed in cold blood because they simply
had to pass through the daily humiliation of these checkpoints," Father
Abusahlia added.

-end-