From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: A letter from Bishop Riah in Jerusalem

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:38:37 -0500 (EST)

March 29, 2002

2002-081

Episcopalians: A letter from Bishop Riah in Jerusalem

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

We have just finished our Good Friday service at St. Georges
Cathedral, after walking the Via Dolorosa.  Good Friday has come
to Jerusalem, amidst the sounds of helicopters, police sirens,
and tank movements.  The atmosphere is frightening and this did
not allow many to attend.  One is reminded of that atmosphere
two thousand years ago.  The streets are conspicuously empty.

As you turn your attention to our Land, the Land where it all
began on the first Good Friday so many years ago, we kindly ask
that you be especially vigilant in your prayers for our people.
We ask that you follow the example of John and Mary, and
avoiding following in the footsteps of those who stood watching
from afar.  As never before in the last 50 years, we ask that
you be close to us and to our people.

In the community at large, in places like Ramallah and other
towns in the West Bank and Gaza, people fear the worst.
Yesterday the town of Ramallah was surrounded by 150 Israeli
tanks.  Food supplies were quickly bought up and children were
hurried home from schools.  Some found their way to Jerusalem
while all foreigners were told by Israel to leave Palestine.
Thirty International Observers from Italy, Switzerland and
France have chosen to stay with the people of Ramallah, in a
show of solidarity.

For the third time in as many months, Israeli Military forces
have occupied the Arab Evangelical Home and School.  Yesterday,
in anticipation of this act, all children were sent from the
Home.  As anticipated, at 7:30 this morning Israeli Soldiers
arrived and claimed the Home as theirs.  Ten sisters and lay
staff remain on the premises and were ordered to move to another
building.

The Rev. George Al Kopti, Rector of St. Andrews Episcopal
Church in Ramallah remains in his home at the Church compound,
afraid for his safety on the streets.  The sounds of gunfire
consistently fill the air.

Please keep the people of the Evangelical Home and School, The
people of St. Andrews Episcopal Church, the people of Ramallah
and all those in this Land in your prayers as you remember the
first Good Friday.

Yet, the unquiet heart in each peace loving Child of God will
keep us going.  We continue to hope, pray, work and look forward
to transforming the present reality of death and great
suffering, to a more pleasant future; one that respects the
noble qualities of humanity.  Once we break with the old and
come to terms with the new, the world at large will celebrate a
Holy Resurrection indeed.

In spite of the pain and suffering of Good Friday two thousand
years ago, as well as today, we continue to believe that good
will overcome evil and peace will prevail over war.

In Christ,

+ The Rt. Rev. Riah Abu El-Assal

------