From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother dies peacefully in her sleep

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2002 19:28:29 -0500 (EST)

March 30, 2002

2002-082

Episcopalians: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother
dies peacefully in her sleep

(ACNS) Buckingham Palace announced earlier today that Her
Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother died peacefully in her
sleep this afternoon at her home in Windsor. The Queen Mother
was 101. Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey had paid tribute
to her at the service of thanksgiving in London's St. Paul's
Cathedral in 2000, on her 100th birthday.

Carey said the Queen Mother had entered into the hearts of
the British people. "And your own heart has been open to them
ever since," he told the Queen Mother. "It was a bond that
gained special strength from two sources: abdication and war,"
he said.

"You stood with your husband as he was confronted so
unexpectedly with the demands of kingship. It was, in your own
words,'an intolerable honour.'"

That George VI became a greatly loved sovereign was due in no
small measure to the Queen Mother's "encouragement, fierce
loyalty and constant presence," said Carey. "Together you stood
with your people during the long nightmare of the Second World
War," he said.

"When Buckingham Palace was badly damaged you famously
declared, 'I'm so glad we've been bombed. It makes me feel I can
look the East End in the face.' As a child of both the East End
and the Blitz, allow me to say your own face grew still more
loved as a result," said Carey.

"And throughout those years we were also aware of the inner
strength, of the real though wholly unpretentious faith in God
that you and the King shared. A faith which has continued to
sustain you through the mingled joy and sadness, which are the
lot of all families, royal and humble alike.

"Surely, it is no accident that in families across the land,
you are known simply as the Queen Mum."

Photographs to accompany this article available from
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/.

The Queen Mother is shown here with the Archbishop of
Canterbury, the Most Rev. George L. Carey and Canon John L.
Peterson, Secretary General of the Anglican Communion, at
Cumberland Lodge Windsor Great Park, during the 1995 Primates
Meeting. The Queen Mum greeted every person present personally.

(Photo: Anglican World/Rosenthal)

------