From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury on the death of HM the Queen Mother

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 20:12:51 -0800

ACNS 2926 - LAMBETH PALACE - 31 March 2002

Statement from the Archbishop of Canterbury on the death of HM the Queen
Mother

The Archbishop of Canterbury expressed sorrow and a sense of profound loss
following the death of Her Majesty the Queen Mother.

Speaking on Saturday evening in Canterbury he paid this tribute:

"We are all the poorer because this gracious lady has been taken from us.
Her unfailing dignity, devotion to duty and charm have been a precious part
of our national life for as long as most of us can remember. She was deeply
loved by people of all ages; whilst older people will remember best the
courage which she and King George VI showed during the War, every generation
has taken her to their hearts.

"She had a deep and sustaining faith and lived her life in the sure and
certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life; a resurrection which we
celebrate at this Eastertide. Christian love shone through her character.

"Even as we mourn her passing, we commend her confidently to God's keeping
and give thanks to him for the very special contribution she made to the
life of the nation and around the world.

"We pray that God will comfort Her Majesty the Queen and the rest of the
royal family in their bereavement"

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org