From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christian Leaders in Jerusalem Send Urgent Appeal to President Bush

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:56:05 EST

For information contact:
Fr. Raed Abusahlia
 Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem
P.O.Box  14152 - Jerusalem 97500
Tel: 972-2-  05-7765046
E-mail address: <A HREF="mailto:latinpat@actcom.co.il";>latinpat@actcom.co.il</A>
Personal e-mail: <A HREF="mailto:nonviolence@writeme.com";>nonviolence@writeme.com</A>
Patriarchate's Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.lpj.org/";>http://www.lpj.org</A>
Personal Homepage: <A HREF="http://go.to/nonviolence";>http://go.to/nonviolence</A>
Fr. Labib's Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.al-bushra.org/";>http://www.al-bushra.org</A>

JERUSALEM, April 2, 2002---Following is the text of an urgent appeal from the
heads of the thirteen historic Christian communities in Israel and Palestine
to U.S. President George Bush:

To President George Bush

Mr President,

 We appeal to you to stop immediately the inhuman tragedy that is taking
place in this Holy Land in our Palestinian towns and villages. Only this
morning the Israeli tanks have reached the Church of the Nativity in
Bethlehem, the City of our Lord Jesus Christ.

 There is wanton indiscriminate killings. Very many people are deprived of
water, electricity, food supplies and basic medical needs. Many of our
religious institutions have been invaded and damaged.

 We call upon your Christian Conscience- because we know you are the only one
who can stop this tragedy immediately.

 We in return will play our part in mediating for the peace and security of
all the people of this Land, both Israeli and Palestinian.

 Signed

The Patriarchs, Archbishops and Heads of all the Christian Churches in
Jerusalem

 -end-