From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Presiding Bishop Calls on Bush to Seek Mid-East Cease Fire

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:01:08 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 2, 2002

ELCA PRESIDING BISHOP CALLS ON BUSH TO SEEK MID-EAST CEASE FIRE
02-70-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), called on
President George W. Bush and U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell "to
do everything within your power to bring about a cease-fire in the
Middle East ... and then work for sustained peace with justice
there."
     Hanson made the statement in an April 2 letter to Bush.  In
recent days, armed conflict between Palestinians and Israelis has
increased considerably, leaving many dead or injured on both sides.
Last week, Israel moved military forces into the occupied territories
of the West Bank in response to a rash of suicide bombings by
Palestinians.
     "As one step toward breaking the cycle of violence and
solidifying this cease-fire, I call on the U.S. government to work
with Israel and the Palestinian Authority to establish an
international presence in Jerusalem, the West Bank and Gaza," Hanson
wrote to Bush.
     "The events of these past days and weeks make my heart heavy
with sorrow: acts of violence followed by retaliation followed by
more violence and more retaliation," Hanson's letter said.  "And in
all of these, innocent people are killed and injured."
     In addition, Hanson told Bush that Israeli tanks and soldiers
damaged Evangelical Lutheran Christmas Church, Bethlehem, and
destroyed the first floor entrance to the home of the congregation's
pastor, the Rev. Mitri Raheb.  Both structures are near the Church of
the Nativity, recognized by Christians as the birthplace of Jesus
Christ.
     Israeli military forces and Palestinians were reported to be
engaged in heavy fighting in Bethlehem's Nativity Square April 2.
     Hanson asked Bush to remind the parties involved in the
conflict of "their international obligations with regard to
humanitarian law and human rights standards."
     "I know you and Secretary Powell to be men of faith," said
Hanson concluding his letter. "I ask you now to be men of peace,
especially concerning the Middle East."
     Hanson included with his letter an appeal written to Bush by
the 11 patriarchs and heads of Christian churches in Jerusalem.
Among the signers was the Rev. Munib A. Younan, bishop of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan (and Palestine).
     The appeal to Bush called on his "Christian conscience" to use
his influence to stop the fighting immediately.
     "There is wanton indiscriminate killing," the Jerusalem
Christian leaders said.  "Very many people are deprived of water,
electricity, food supplies and basic medical needs.  Many of our
religious institutions have been invaded and damaged."
     The Christian leaders pledged to Bush to "play our part in
mediating for the peace and security of all the people of this land,
both Israeli and Palestinian."
---