From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Queen Mother's Local Church in Scotland to Hold Prayer Services

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:34:31 -0800

The Scottish Episcopal Church

Press release
02/04/02

[PHOTO DETAILS: St John's still has the Queen Mother's 1916 confirmation
register. Contact Canon Richardson for more details.]

Queen Mother's local church to hold prayer services

The church where the Queen Mother was confirmed 86 years ago is to hold two
special services for her.
The Queen Mother was one of 12 confirmation candidates at St John's Scottish
Episcopal church in Forfar on November 5, 1916.
In the years that followed, she always kept a close link with the church,
attending its centenary service in 1981.

St John's will be open at 9.30am tomorrow (Wednesday April 3), and at the
same time next Tuesday (April 9), on the morning of her funeral. Anyone who
wants to share in prayer for her memory is welcome to come.
St John's Rector, the Rev Canon Malcolm Richardson, said: "The congregation
have always been very aware of their close links with the Queen Mother.
"There are people in the congregation in their 80s who can still remember
seeing her cycling into Forfar from Glamis. She was very much loved as one
of the local community."
The Queen mother worshipped at the Scottish Episcopal chapel in Glamis
Castle throughout her youth. When she turned 16, she was confirmed at nearby
St John's.
Worshippers will be invited to say an adapted prayer from the church's
funeral service at both services. The same text was used at recent prayer
services for Princess Margaret (prayer included below).
Glamis castle staff attended a private prayer service at the estate chapel
on Sunday morning. The Rev Canon Dendle French wore vestments donated by the
Queen Mother in 1988 to mark the chapel's 300th anniversary.
The Most Rev Bruce Cameron, Primus or head of the Scottish Episcopal Church,
paid tribute to the Queen Mother.
He said: "The death of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother is a moment for
people to reflect.
"She has encapsulated in her life the history of our nation throughout the
20th Century.  Her courage in wartime and her devoted service to this
country have served to inspire others.
"In particular she will be greatly missed by many people in Scotland with
whom she has had such a warm relationship over her whole life.
"The Scottish Episcopal Church also remembers her with much affection - in
particular from her younger years at Glamis Castle."
All are welcome to attend the services. Anyone who can not come is invited
to say the following prayers in private:
Memorial Prayers for Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother
"Lord of all our days, we thank thee for the years from childhood to old age
in which thy servant Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother has been among us,
and for all that was accomplished in her long life. As in this life she
glorified thy name, so beyond death may she praise thee still, and find
rest, peace and joy in thine eternal kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.
"Bring us all, O Lord God, at our last awakening, into the house and gate of
heaven, to enter into that gate and dwell in that house, where there shall
be no darkness nor dazzling, but one equal light; no noise nor silence, but
one equal music; no fears nor hopes, but one equal peace; no ends nor
beginnings, but one equal eternity: in the presence of thy glory and
dominion, for ever and ever. Amen."
The prayers reflect the Queen Mother's love of traditional church language.

Contact
Andrew Heavens
(press officer)
0131 225 6357 (tel)