From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Japanese Christians Ask Israelis to End Seige

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:17:17 EST

JERUSALEM, April 2, 2002--Members of the Christian community here and in
Palestinian West Bank churches today learned that the Japanese National
Christian Council has responded to their appeal and has called upon Israel's
Prime Minister Ariel Sharon to end military action against Palestinians.

       The letter to the Prime Minister expressed sadness for all loss of
life in Israel and Palestine and acknowledged that Christians in the past
have denied the human rights of Jews.  The letter included a statement
repenting "that many Christians were merely onlookers during the cruel
atrocities committed under the Nazi regime."

       But the letter urged that Israel respond to United Nations
resolutions, ending atrocities in Palestinian areas, withdrawing from
occupied areas and recognize a Palestinian state. It described settlement
building, home demolitions, and the humiliation of Palestinians as "an act of
violation against human dignity."

       The Japanese Christian body also recongized that many Israelis are
actively engaged inseeking peace.

       The full text of the open letter to Prime Minister Sharon follows:

Mr. Ariel Sharon, Prime Minister of Israel.

March 29, 2002

Dear Prime Minister Ariel Sharon:

We, Japanese Christians, have been deeply saddened to know that many
citizens, both Israelis and Palestinians were killed and  injured as a result
of the continuous violent conflicts between Palestine and Israel since the
year 2000.

We also have been hearing the outcries from Christians in Palestine appealing
to us regarding the suffering and casualties caused by the Israeli military
attacks. We also know that many Israelis are seeking for peace.

Now, we are grateful to hear that the Israeli military forces will withdraw
from Bethlehem and other occupied territory and resume the peace
negotiations. We hope and pray that this opportunity will pave the way for a
lasting peace.

We deeply regret that "Christian nations " have persecuted Jewish people for
many years.  We especially repent that many Christians were merely onlookers
during the cruel atrocities committed under the Nazi regime.

However, it will lead to a similar Nazi genocide policy if the Israeli
government continues to invade the Palestinian ruled territory and take the
land and water away, destroy homes and build settlements which threaten
Palestinian livelihood, and kill Palestinians. This is an act of violation
against human dignity.

We also oppose the act of indiscriminate killings such as suicide bombings by
Palestinian. However, we believe that the suicide bombings will continue to
happen and there will be no security for both Palestinians and Israelis,
unless the illegal occupation of Palestine comes to an end.

In praying that people in Palestine and Israel will live peacefully together
as fellow human beings, we will request the following:

1) Put all atrocities to an end and keep the  human dignity of Palestinians.
2) Implement the past UN resolutions, especially with the one by the UN
Security Council.
3) Recognize Palestine as a state and completely withdraw from occupied
territory in accordance with International laws.
4) Allow the Palestinian refugees since the establishment of Israel in  1948,
to return to their homes.

Peace and Grace,

Ms. Reiko Suzuki                         Rev. Kenichi Otsu
Moderator                                     General Secretary
National Christian Council               National Christian Council
In Japan                                         in Japan

-end-