From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Christian Leaders Unable to Deliver Peace Message

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Wed, 3 Apr 2002 08:02:02 EST

Contact:
Fr. Raed Awad Abusahlia
P.O.Box 14152  Jerusalem  91141
Tel.  (972 2) 628.2323 / 627.2280
Fax  (972 2) 627.1652
Personal E-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Latin Patriarchate E-mail: Latinpat@actcom.co.il
Latin Patriarchate's Homepage: http://www.Lpj.org
"Nonviolence Homepage": http://go.to/nonviolence

Fifty Church Leaders Halted by Israelis on Way to Bethlehem

JERUSALEM, April 3, 2002.-- Following is a dispatch circulated today by
Reuters:

Filed at 5:28 a.m. ET

Israeli soldiers prevented Church leaders from delivering a peace message to
Bethlehem, the traditional birthplace of Jesus, on Wednesday after
Palestinian gunmen fought pitched battles with
Israeli troops.

About 50 church leaders and clergymen drove with olive branches from
Jerusalem to a military checkpoint on the northern outskirts of the West Bank
town.

Israeli soldiers prevented them entering, saying the town was a closed
military zone. Troops entered Bethlehem on Tuesday as part of a military
campaign that started last Friday after a Palestinian suicide bombing which
killed 25 people.

``We are here to visit Bethlehem and we want to bring a message of peace to
Israel, to the Palestinians inside,'' said Latin Patriarch Michael Sabbah,
head of the Catholic Church in the Holy Land.

``I think that the fight is over. The Israelis have done the fight, they won
the fight, so there is no more reason to remain in Bethlehem. They can go
back very peacefully,'' he added.

Reiterating the area was closed, the army said it did not want to risk the
clergymen's lives.

Church leaders have expressed grave concern over the situation in Bethlehem
after Israeli troops thrust into the town as part of what Israel says is a
campaign to halt the wave of suicide bombings and isolate Palestinian leader
Yasser Arafat.

At least seven Palestinians were killed by Israeli soldiers as they fought
outgunned Palestinians who tried to hold back scores of tanks and armored
vehicles, witnesses said.

Israeli troops ringed the Church of the Nativity, built on the site where
Christians believe Jesus was born, after scores of Palestinians, some wounded
gunmen, took refuge inside.

The Israeli army said the Palestinian gunmen were firing from the church. The
Palestinians denied that.

``We told them (the Israelis), we are not here to demonstrate. We are here to
make peace, to ask them to withdraw immediately from Bethlehem,'' said
Anglican Archbishop Riah Abu al-Assal before they turned back to Jerusalem.

-End-