From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Message from the Secretary General of the Anglican Communion

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 09:34:18 -0800

ACNS 2929 - ACC - 2 April 2002

Message from the Secretary General of the Anglican Communion

Easter Tuesday 2002

The difficulties and pains of life do not stop just because it is Easter,
but if I can accept this sign, and trust in God's love for me, then I can
have a real sense of joy and peace. Outwardly, I am not necessarily bubbling
over with joy, but deep inside me there is a reassurance and an enduring
hope that is a solid foundation for my life. From the Jesuits in Ireland

Many churches in the Anglican Communion observe Good Friday as a special day
of prayer with a special focus on the Diocese of Jerusalem. Thank you to all
who have responded to the needs of Jerusalem at this critical and tragic
time. We have had many e-mails of concern sent to us at the Anglican
Communion Office.

Our Anglican sisters and brothers in the Middle East are living an existence
that cries out for the joy that we celebrate during Eastertide. It is my
prayer that we will not forget the Christians who are facing daily
humiliation, harassment and serious threats of death, as we continue in this
season of hope. These Christians are guardians of the shrines of our faith
that could well disappear as they, the people, flee because they are under
constant threat.

The situation must change. We have kept silent as a church far too long. The
Christian millennium celebrations were marred by the violence and the fear
which continue to this day. Our governments, and we represent some 164
countries in our Communion, need to hear from us today. Our alleluias are
muffled and are but a whimper, when the sounds of tanks invading Bethlehem
or the sound of suicide bombs exploding, drown out our prayers, as do the
screams of the innocent caught in the midst of the war.

Pray for peace with justice. Work for peace with justice. Please let the
Anglican Communion Office know you are praying as parishes, dioceses, and
individuals. We will send your words to the Bishop of Jerusalem and people
of the Diocese of Jerusalem. I urge you to read the letters from the Bishop
of Jerusalem and the Dean of St George's College, Jerusalem, on our website.
Lord make us instruments of justice and peace for all. The Christians and
all people of goodwill must not be forgotten in the Holy Land or in any
place where lives are in danger and persecution seems uncontrolled.

The Revd Canon John L Peterson
Secretary General, and former Dean of St George's College, Jerusalem

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org