From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS2932 Prayers at a time of mourning for Her Majesty Queen

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 09:41:20 -0800

Elizabeth The Queen Mother

ACNS 2932 - LAMBETH PALACE - 3 April 2002

Prayers at a time of mourning for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen
Mother

The Archbishops of Canterbury and York have issued prayers offered for use
by individuals and churches during the period of mourning for Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.

The prayers have been drawn up specifically with congregations in mind but
are also suitable for use in individuals' personal devotions. They are
written in a variety of liturgical styles, encompassing both the traditional
and the contemporary.

It is expected that the formal Special Orders of Service in Commemoration of
Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother will be published shortly.

Prayers following the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother

O God, the maker and redeemer of all mankind, grant us, with thy servant
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and all the faithful departed, the sure
benefits of thy Son's saving passion and glorious resurrection; that in the
last day, when all things are gathered up in Christ, we may with them enjoy
the fullness of thy promises; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God, from whom comes everything that is upright and true: accept our
thanks for the gifts of heart and mind that thou didst bestow on thy servant
Elizabeth, and which she showed forth among us in her words and deeds; and
grant that we may have grace to live our lives in accordance with thy will,
to seek the good of others, and to remain faithful servants unto our lives'
end; through our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Father in heaven,
we thank you that you have made us in your own image
and have given us gifts in mind, body and spirit.
We thank you now for Elizabeth the Queen Mother
and what she meant to each of us.
As we honour her memory,
make us more aware that you are the one
from whom comes every perfect gift,
including the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ. Amen.

Father in heaven, we praise your name
for all who have finished this life loving and trusting you,
for the example of their lives,
the grace you gave them,
and the peace in which they rest.
We praise you today for your servant Elizabeth the Queen Mother
and for all that you did through her.
Meet us in our sadness
and fill our hearts with praise and thanksgiving,
for the sake of our risen Lord, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Eternal God and Father,
we praise you that you have made people to share life together
and to reflect your glory in the world.
We thank you now for Elizabeth the Queen Mother
for all that we saw of your goodness and love in her life
and for all that she means to each one of us.
As we too journey towards death
may we do so in the company of Jesus,
who came to share our life
that we might share the life of eternity.
To him be glory with you and the Holy Spirit
for ever and ever. Amen.

Merciful Father and Lord of all life,
we praise you that we are made in your image
and reflect your truth and light.
We thank you for the life of Elizabeth the Queen Mother
for the love she received from you
and showed among us.
Above all, we rejoice at your gracious promise
to all your servants, living and departed,
that we shall rise again at the coming of Christ.
And we ask that in due time
we may share with our sister that clearer vision,
when we shall see your face in the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Hear, O Lord, the prayers of thy people, as we remember before thee Her
Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother: and grant that we who confess thy
name upon earth, may with her be made perfect in the kingdom of thy glory;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God, Father of all mercies and giver of all comfort: deal
graciously, we pray, with all who mourn, especially the members of the Royal
Family, that casting every care on thee, they may know the consolation of
thy love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God, the protector of all that trust in thee,
without whom nothing is strong, nothing is holy:
increase and multiply upon us thy mercy
that, thou being our ruler and guide,
we may so pass through things temporal
that we lose not our hold on things eternal;
grant this, O heavenly Father,
for Jesus Christ's sake our Lord,
who liveth and reigneth with thee,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;
from where is my help to come?

My help comes from the Lord,
the maker of heaven and earth.

He will not suffer your foot to stumble;
he who watches over you will not sleep.

Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel
shall neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord himself watches over you;
the Lord is your shade at your right hand.

So that the sun shall not strike you by day,
neither the moon by night.

The Lord shall keep you from all evil;
it is he who shall keep your soul.

The Lord shall keep watch over your going out and your coming in,
from this time forth for evermore.

Where appropriate, other versions of this psalm including that in The Book
of Common Prayer, might be used.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org