From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury's Tribute to Her Majesty the Queen Mother

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 10:29:24 -0800

ACNS 2938 - LAMBETH PALACE - 3 April 2002

Archbishop of Canterbury's tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen
Mother

House of Lords

Wednesday 3 April 2002

My Lords, it is with great sadness that I convey from these Benches the
support of the Lords Spiritual for the Motion. I hope too that my few words
may reflect some of the feelings of the wider Church.

As we reflect on, and pay tribute to, a life well-lived, our hearts go out
to those who will miss her most: The Queen and all the Royal Family. Their
bereavement is the greatest and the hardest to bear. Yet, so greatly has she
been loved that we all recognise a sense of real loss.

That great love, and the respect she inspired across the generations, arose
first from her marvellous example of service and duty. Yet to this she added
her own very special grace and charm, so that every family, here in Britain
and throughout the Commonwealth, found a place for her in their hearts.

We appreciated the way she took up, uncomplaining, the unexpected burden of
service to her country. And we remember a Queen Mother who carried this
burden with unfailing courage, supported by the great joy, which she took in
her family. Let us not forget that she also faced with courage the private
sadness of the loss of her husband, and recently her younger daughter.

One source of this courage was her deep and straightforward faith in
almighty God. Her devotion to the truths of the Christian gospel was a rich
source of strength. It helped to sustain her throughout her long life lived
with grace, with elegance, and most of all with a deep and enduring joy.

I remember her saying with a laugh that I was her eighth Archbishop. She had
known Randall Davidson who was appointed Dean of Windsor by Queen Victoria!
I may have been one of eight Archbishops, but the Queen Mother was unique.
On another occasion, I recall mentioning the name of John Henry Newman who
was vicar of St Mary's, Oxford, as long ago as the 1820's. Her reply stunned
me: 'Oh yes!' she replied with enthusiasm: 'My grandfather was profoundly
influenced by him'. Suddenly we had travelled back the best part of a
hundred and eighty years!

We cannot do better than pause today to say a heartfelt "thank you" for a
long life and one nurtured by a direct and deep faith in Almighty God, a
life which has expressed so well those wonderful words of St Paul:

"Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things
are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue and if there be
any praise, think on these things."

We thank God for all she meant to us and all she gave us. In this Easter
season, we thank Him too that she has now passed into the fullness of life,
which God has promised, by the Resurrection of Christ from the dead.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org