From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS 2936 Prayers for use by children mourning Her Late Majesty the

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 10:25:59 -0800

Queen Mother

ACNS 2936 - ENGLAND - 3 April 2002

Prayers for use with and by children during mourning for Her Late Majesty
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother

[Church of England] Children have long been associated with The Queen
Mother's birthday celebrations and many may wish to play a part in mourning
her death. The following prayers, suggested hymns and reading are offered as
resources for those organising services for children during the period of
mourning.

Prayers for use with and by children

Heavenly Father,
we give you grateful thanks
for the life of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Be with all who are sad today,
especially members of the Royal family.

We join in our sorrow with people throughout the world
whose lives the Queen Mother touched
during her own long life
and who remember her with love.

Please help us all
through this time of sadness
and loving memories,
to try and make the world a better place

We ask in Jesus' name. Amen

Creator God, Lord of all the world,
look now on us your children, as we remember with love
the life of service and witness of our Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth.

We give you thanks for her love and care, her dedication and her duty
to her family and her country, to the Commonwealth of Nations
and other countries of the world.

Help us to follow her example and, in days to come,
remember that we are part of a worldwide family
and that we, too, can seek to play our part;

in our families,
in our schools,
in our communities,
in the quest for peace,
for respect for human rights
and a more equal share of Earth's resources for all.

Through Jesus Christ, your son, our Lord. Amen

Thank you, God,
for our Queen Mother.
While she was with us, her smile lit up the world
And her sense of fun helped people to forget their troubles.
Now that she has died
And is safe in your keeping,
Help us to carry on her work,
So we too can turn sadness into joy.
This we ask for Jesus' sake, Amen.

Suggested hymns

Be thou my vision
Bind us together Lord
All things bright and beautiful
Morning has broken
The day thou gavest
For the beauty of the earth
Lord for the years
Thine be the Glory

Suggested Bible reading

The 23rd Psalm

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org