From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bible College President Says Suicide Bombers Are Excuse

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:17:54 EST

For information contact:
President Bishara Awad
Bethlehem Bible College
Tel: 972.2.274.3278

BETHLEHEM, April 4, 2002---According to the President of a prominent Bible
College in Bethlehem, supported by Protestants in the United States and
Europe, Israel is using suicide bombers as an excuse to maintain control over
the occupied Palestinian territories.

Bishara Awad, a frequent lecturer in the United States, "continues to regret
the suicide attacks," but insists that "these are done by individuals who are
a small minority and are not an act of the Palestinian Authority or Yaser
Arafat. They and their supporters don't make 2% of the whole population."

"In fact, he said, "Mr. Arafat denied and condemned these attacks against
innocent civilians.  Even though they are doing this out of frustration, out
of anger and despair because Israel would not stop killing their people,
demolish their homes, confiscate their land, build illegal settlements but
mostly denied them any freedom, yet their action is not something that most
Palestinians
approve of, but many are seeing very little other options and signs of
hope."

Awad says that "The real issue is the occupation. Israel is waging this war
put an end to any attempt of creating a Palestinian State. The occupation of
Palestinian land had been going on for over 34 years."

The text of his appeal for prayers and action to end the violence follows:

Dear friends and prayer partners.
Thank you for your concerns and prayers.

As I write, at least 150 tanks are in Bethlehem. We are very concerned
and afraid for the lives of friends (Christians and Muslim) in Bethlehem.
Just heard a very sad incident of a mother and her son who were killed by
Israeli bullets in Bethlehem inside their home and the other son said that
for 27 hours the ambulance has been prevented from coming to the demolished
house, which only had one room standing after the army demolished the rest of
the house to pick-up the killed.

Imagine children spending all this time sleeping and walking around their
dead father and grandmother. Is this not a violation of every international,
humanitarian and moral law?

The Israeli government is calling the reserves as though they are entering a
war against a country that is equal to it in power and strength while
Palestinians are mostly people who are unarmed. This is pure madness and
uncalled for.

The suicide attacks are used as an excuse by the Israeli government and are
not the real issue for this war on the Palestinians. We continue to regret
the suicide attacks, but these are done by individuals who are a small
minority and are not an act of the Palestinian Authority or Yaser Arafat.
They and their supporters don't make 2% of the whole population.

In fact Mr. Arafat denied and condemned these attacks against innocent
civilian. Even though they are doing this out of frustration, out of anger
and despair because Israel would not stop killing their people, demolish
their homes, confiscate their land, build illegal settlements but mostly
denied them any
freedom, yet their action is not something that most Palestinians approve of,
but many are seeing very little other options and signs of hope.

The real issue is the occupation. Israel is waging this war to put an end to
any attempt of creating a Palestinian State. The occupation of Palestinian
land had been going on for over 34 years.

Israel is not willing to listen to the UN resolutions that call for Israel to
withdraw from the occupied territories. Israel should accept the division of
the land and appease the native Palestinians. Mr. Sharon, who is a native of
Russia, wants to put the Palestinians in cages to control them. In 20 years
or less the number of Palestinians will increase from the 3.5 millions to 5
millions and then Israel will
have a bigger problem.

It is hard to understand the US policy in the Middle East. America that
stands for peace and freedom for all is not willing to listen to the
Palestinian cry for freedom.

Bethlehem is a holy city for all Christians all over the world. The army now
invades it. This is the third time the tanks enter Bethlehem in less than six
months. This city that received the Prince of Peace is now seeking its own
peace. Inside the Church of Nativity there are now close to 200 people
including families and Palestinian security forces.

I am reminded of the refuge cities mentioned in the Old Testament. In the
book of Numbers 35:6 we read, "Six of the towns you give the Levites will be
cities of refuge, to which a person who has killed someone may flee." See
also Numbers 35 and Joshua 20.

The Church in Bethlehem is demanding that these people are under its roof and
the church is a refuge for any one to come, the church has also acknowledged
that those in the church have also surrendered their weapons and the church
is to protect them. Will Israel respect the church? I pray so.

I am dreaming that the next time Israel will enter Bethlehem it will be
different. It will enter as a good neighbor, helping people, create jobs and
join hands in rebuilding rather than destroying and creating hatred.

 I pray that Israelis will come as tourists to visit the point were
Christianity was started and enjoy shopping in Bethlehem. Israel can destroy
and it is good in destroying, but it also can show good will.

In ZEC 4:6   we read:  "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit," says
the LORD Almighty. War is not an answer, there is an option and please pray
that Israel will take the option of peace.

As a Christian, I will not lose hope for better days and for this darkness in
Bethlehem and other Palestinian cities to be lifted up. I have great hope in
the Israeli people who are righteous and are raising their voices against
this war and terror. Their number is in the increase.

May God have mercy and may we all be "peace makers".

Keep praying and keep hoping.

Bishara Awad
President, Bethlehem Bible College
Bethlehem. Palestine

PS. Just heard in the news that the Israeli army broke the back door of the
Church of Nativity. Please pray harder so that this will end without
casualties.

-end-