From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Text of Presiding Bishop's letters to Bush, Powell

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:54:54 -0500 (EST)

April 5, 2002

2002-088

Episcopalians: Text of Presiding Bishop's letters to Bush,
Powell

April 5, 2002The Honorable George W. Bush President of
the United StatesThe White House 1600 Pennsylvania Ave,
NW Washington, DC  20500

Dear Mr. President:

Amid the terrible surge of violence in the Holy Land, I wish
to thank you for your decision to send Secretary of State Colin
Powell to the region and for your call for Israeli forces to
withdraw from Palestinian cities.  I am truly alarmed by the
massive military response of Israel to the deplorable suicide
bombings, and particularly by the reported executions, denial of
access by medical personnel, and immense destruction of property
and infrastructure. Clearly, the two parties in this conflict no
longer have the means or the will to control events.

Given the urgency of the crisis, I ask that you send
Secretary Powell if humanly possible without delay rather than
next week.. Any delay will allow for the violence to continue
unabated, and many more people will lose their lives. Time is of
the essence.

Further, I would like to formally request the opportunity to
bring a group of Christian leaders to meet with you in support
of peace-building in the Holy Land.

Please be assured of my prayers during this difficult time,
as the weight of these important decisions bear upon you.

Yours sincerely,

The Most Rev. Frank T. GriswoldPresiding Bishop and
PrimateThe Episcopal Church, USA

April 5, 2002The Honorable Colin PowellSecretary of
StateU.S. Department of State2201 C Street,
NWWashington, DC  20520

Dear Mr. Secretary:

Amid the terrible surge of violence in the Holy Land, I am
grateful for your commitment to the difficult work of
peace-building. Given the urgency of the crisis, it would be my
strongest hope that you would undertake your mission there as
soon as humanly possible. Any delay will allow for the violence
to continue unabated, and many more people may die.

I am truly alarmed by the massive military response of Israel
to the deplorable suicide bombings, and particularly by the
reported executions, the denial of access by medical personnel,
and the immense destruction of property and infrastructure.
Clearly, the two parties in this conflict no longer have the
means or the will to control events.

I write particularly to suggest that you meet with the
Christian leadership in Jerusalem, including the Palestinian
bishops of the Latin, Lutheran, and Episcopal churches.  Our
churches are, of course, committed to nonviolence and have
substantial influence with the Palestinian Authority.  Our own
Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal of the Episcopal Church in Jerusalem
stands ready to assist in facilitating such a meeting.

Please be assured of my prayers during this difficult time,
as the weight of this important work bears upon you.

------