From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Statement - Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:24:09 -0800

America

                 SCOBA STATEMENT ON CRISIS IN THE HOLY LAND

                                                               April 5, 2002

                               "And the peace of God, which surpasses all
                               understanding, will guard your hearts and
                               your minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil 4:7)

In  the  midst  of  this  holy season of Great Lent, our souls are troubled
deeply  by  the  escalation  of  hostilities in the land where our Lord has
walked,  where  the  shadow  of the Prince of Peace, moved upon the ancient
roads of Israel.

In  one  voice,  we,  the hierarchs of the Standing Conference of Canonical
Orthodox  Bishops in America, address this appeal to the Israeli Government
and the Palestinian Authority, for reconciliation, justice and peace in the
Holy  Land.  To every Palestinian and Israeli citizen who is praying for an
end  to  the  violence,  we extend to you the prayers and solidarity of our
faithful in America.

Churches,  mosques  and  temples  are constructed as houses of prayer.  The
desecration  and  destruction  of these sacred buildings, historic edifices
and  treasures of humanity, cannot be tolerated and must cease immediately.
We  urge a halt to all aggression against all religious sites.  We urge for
freedom  of  access to the faithful and religious leaders  related to their
places of worship.

We  deplore  the  unprecedented  escalation  of violence, and the senseless
destructions of lives and infrastructures.

In  unison  we  raise our voice of supplication to the Government of Israel
and  to  the    Palestinian Authority for a cessation of actions that bring
violence  and  death to innocent people.  We issue our supplication because
we  agree  with  our  brothers, the Heads of Churches in the Holy Land, who
indicated  in  their  most  recent  letter  that  the key to any future and
lasting peace is in the hands of the Israeli Government and the Palestinian
Authority.  After  eighteen  months  of death and destruction, leaders from
both  sides  must  see  that  war  and  violence  has settled nothing. Only
meaningful  negotiation  between  Palestinians and Israelis alike, whom God
has  destined  to  live as partners in this holy place, can ensure a future
promising  security,  justice  and  peace  in  a  land  where  three  great
monotheistic religions are called to coexist.

As  we  Orthodox  Christians prepare for the coming of Pascha, the Feast of
Feasts,  our Lenten prayer is for peace in the Holy Land. To our Christian,
Jewish  and  Muslim  friends  living  through  this horror, we cry with the
Psalmist who wrote, "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: 'May they prosper who
love  you.  Peace  be  within  your walls, and security within you towers.'
(psalm 122:6).

Peace and Love to all and for all

  + Archbishop DEMETRIOS, Chairman + Metropolitan THEODOSIUS Greek Orthodox
Archdiocese of America
  Orthodox Church in America

  + Metropolitan PHILIP, Vice Chairman + Metropolitan JOSEPH, Locum tenens
Antiochian Orthodox Christian
  Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese in Archdiocese of North America America and
Canada

  + Metropolitan CHRISTOPHER, Secretary +Metropolitan JOSEPH Serbian
Orthodox Church in the USA Bulgarian
  Eastern Orthodox Church and Canada

  + Metropolitan NICHOLAS of Amissos + Metropolitan CONSTANTINE American
Carpatho-Russian Orthodox
  Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the USA Diocese in the USA

                     10 East 79th St, New York NY 10021