From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Easter Thursday message from Anglican Bishop of Jerusalem

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 20:39:52 -0800

ACNS 2942 - MIDDLE EAST - 4 April 2002

Easter Thursday message from the Bishop of Jerusalem

Dear Friends,

Salaam and grace in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and blessed greetings
from Jerusalem.

We are still in Easter Week and events are moving rather quickly with more
tragedies and more killings and sufferings. These are times of great
suffering to the Palestinian people, and to the Church in Palestine. All of
our Palestinian cities are now occupied by Israel and the people are
prevented from leaving their houses.

For two days in a row the Heads of Churches in Jerusalem have arranged
marches and demonstrations; one in Jerusalem leading to the house of the
Prime Minister, protesting against the government's unimaginable retaliation
in our cities and among our people; the other was at the Bethlehem
checkpoint. The soldiers prevented our entry to the city, despite the fact
that we made it clear that we were marching in search for peace, and as
peacemakers.

On the same day as we were trying to enter Bethlehem, another demonstration
was taking place near the Qalandya checkpoint leading to Ramallah. This was
attended by thousands of peace activists, both Israelis and Palestinians,
and other internationals. Among those present were the mayor of Nazareth, Mr
Ramiz Jaraysi, and all Arab members of the Israeli Knesset. The reports came
of a real battle between the soldiers and the demonstrators. A robber bullet
hit Mr Jaraysi, the mayor of Nazareth, in his shoulder, close to his neck,
thereby endangering his life. Two Knesset members, Ahmad Tibi, and Muhammad
Barakeh, have been injured seriously and are being treated in hospitals.
Knesset member, Azmi Bisharah, lost consciousness due to the tear gas.

Our people need to breathe a little. Every day tens of lives are being taken
away. In Bethlehem few nuns have been injured, with a priest, and yesterday
two people were killed as they were inside Church buildings. A mother and
her son were also killed in their own house, and the soldiers prevented to
release the bodies for 48 hours, and left them bleeding until the moment of
death. Today, the main entrance to the Church of the Nativity was blown up,
creating fear and horror among the priests and monks living in the compound
and those taking refuge in the Church with them. All this while there is no
sufficient food supplies in the convent. The humanitarian side has been
totally and wholly absent from the face of innocent people. People cannot
even go to Church. For all this and numerous other horrifying stories, I ask
you to keep up your prayers.

Have a blessed Easter Season; know that this comes with my prayers and best
wishes.

In Christ

+Rt Revd Riah Abu El-Assal

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org