From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Catholic Patriarch Denies Rumors Priests Held Hostage

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Sun, 7 Apr 2002 17:53:16 EDT

For additional information, contact:
Fr. Raed Awad Abusahlia
P.O.Box 14152  Jerusalem  91141
Tel.  (972 2) 628.2323 / 627.2280
Fax  (972 2) 627.1652
Personal E-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Latin Patriarchate E-mail: Latinpat@actcom.co.il
Latin Patriarchate's Homepage: http://www.Lpj.org
"Nonviolence Homepage": http://go.to/nonviolence

JERUSALEM, April 6, 2002---The ranking Roman (Latin) Catholic official in the
Holy Land flatly denied that Franciscan priests are being held hostage inside
Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity.

Patriarch Michel Sabbah also told Christians and Muslims in Israel and
Palestine that Pope John Paul II, and the churches of the world, are working
to end the Israeli military seige of Bethlehem and other cities in Palestine.

The Patriarch's statement came on the eve of the Feast of the Assumption when
he would normally have gone from Jerusalem to Bethlehem to preside at worship
services at the Nativity Church there.  He was unable to do so because of the
Israeli attack on that city.

He called on them to pray that leaders understand that the only basis for an
enduring peace in the region is justice.

Sabbah not only declare the Israeli reports as false, but he also "strongly
condemned this false news that only adds insult to injury."   He also
strongly condemned the siege of the Basilica and the psychological war waged
by the Israeli soldiers around it.

The full text of his message follows:

Dear brothers and sisters,

It is very sad that for the first time and because of war you won't be able
tomorrow to reach the Basilica of the Nativity for the Sunday mass and
prayers. I would have dearly wanted to be with you and to pray with you but
it is forbidden until this very moment to get there.

Nonetheless we call upon all of you our faithful to pray for tomorrow for the
cause of peace; for an end to this war; and for the politicians to understand
that the only way for a durable peace in this region is only and uniquely
justice.

As for what is taking place in the Basilica of the Nativity itself, we are
deploying every effort in order to put an end to this deadlock.

False news and rumors were propagated to the effect that the Franciscan
brothers are being held hostages inside their convent by the Palestinians. An
official communique by the Custody of the Holy Land declared that this is not
true. We also declare that this is false, and we strongly condemn this false
news that only add insult to injury. We also strongly condemn the siege of
the Basilica and the psychological war waged by the Israeli soldiers around
it.

 From Bethlehem our heart goes to all of the other cities and locations which
Christians and Muslims alike, to keep faith and courage. We are with you and
had been invaded and are now under siege. We call upon all of you faithful,
peace-loving people all over the world are with you.

The Holy Father John Paul II himself, the hurches of the world and many
politicians are working toward putting an end to this ordeal. May the peace
of the Lord be with you all.

Tomorrow, the Annunciation feast, we will pray for you and with you in
Nazareth. May God bless you, give you courage and keep you safe.

+ Michel Sabbah, Patriarch

-end-