From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

U.S. Lutheran Bishop Expresses Concern for Bethlehem Church, Pastor

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Sun, 7 Apr 2002 20:51:21 EDT

For Information:
For further information, contact
Rev. Gustaf Odquist
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jerusalem
Mobile:    +972-2-67-255-733

JERUSALEM, April 5, 2002--Following is the text of a statement received here
today from the Presiding Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America, Mark S. Hanson:

When a Passover meal becomes a bloody massacre, when the site of Jesus'
birth is turned into a place of violence, when religious sanctuaries become
battlegrounds for war, people of faith cannot remain silent.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is deeply concerned about
current events in the occupied territories of the West Bank.  The violence
that we all have witnessed through the media is unacceptable, no matter who
may be at fault.  It is time for Israelis and Palestinians to end this
violent conflict, to stop killing each other, to stop the destruction of
property -- including church buildings -- to lay down their arms and to
engage in a process that leads to peace.

I have called on President Bush and Secretary Powell to use their great
influence to halt this dreadful and violent situation (see April 2 letter to
President Bush at www.elca.org/ob/lettertopresident.html on the Web).

While we are concerned for the welfare of all people, I am especially
concerned for our brothers and sisters of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in Jordan (and Palestine) (ELCJ). Their safety has been jeopardized.  Basic
needs such as food, water and medicine have been cut off.  Christmas
Lutheran Church in Bethlehem has been damaged, was occupied by Israeli
soldiers and its pastor held hostage for a few hours before the soldiers
left.  Actions such as these are totally unacceptable.

The ELCA has responded to this crisis by providing a $20,000 gift to the
ELCJ through International Disaster Response to be used for food, water and
medicine.  Another $100,000 has been provided for relief services to the
Lutheran World Federation's Augusta Victoria Hospital in Jerusalem and the
Middle East Council of Churches.

In this difficult time in the Holy Land, I call upon the members of the
ELCA to:

+ pray fervently for peace for all people in the region.

+ pray for US leaders, that they may be filled with the wisdom to find a
peaceful solution to the violence.

+ write to senators and representatives (see www.congress.gov for
addresses) and President Bush (www.whitehouse.gov/contact), urging them to
use their offices to seek an immediate cease-fire and provide for an
international presence to provide for and maintain a lasting peace.

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson
Presiding Bishop
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
April 4, 2002