From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ten Wounded Trapped Inside Nativity Church, Lawyer Says

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Sun, 7 Apr 2002 20:51:23 EDT

Contact:
Fr. Raed Awad Abusahlia
P.O.Box 14152  Jerusalem  91141
Tel.  (972 2) 628.2323 / 627.2280
Fax  (972 2) 627.1652
Personal E-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Latin Patriarchate E-mail: Latinpat@actcom.co.il
Latin Patriarchate's Homepage: http://www.Lpj.org
"Nonviolence Homepage": http://go.to/nonviolence

By Edward Calis

     JERUSALEM, April 6, 2002--Tony Salman, a Palestinian lawyer trapped
inside the Nativity Church in Bethlehem, told Via Dolorosa  through a
cellular phone April 5 that there are currently 245 people inside the church,
ten of whom are wounded waiting for a miracle to save their lives.

I just finished talking to one of the trapped people inside the Nativity
Church.  Lawyer Tony Salman is also the head of  the Catholic St. Anthony
Charitable Foundation in Bethelehem.

Salman explained how he ended up inside the Church by saying, "After
rumors circulated in Bethlehem alleging that the Palestinian resistance
forces attacked priests and took them as hostages, infuriated Bethelehem
Governer Muhammad Al Madani, called me and insisted that we enter the church
together to investigate those rumors.

"You know this is  a very sensitive subject in Palestine and we had to know
the truth. So we entered the church from the western side and we were pleased
to see the situation inside opposite to what we heard and exactly as we
expected.

"Priests and nuns are taking care of the wounded and are doing all they can
to alleviate the dramatic situation.

"Franciscans, Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests inside the church are
making sure everyone is having something to eat. They exhausted all flour
they had in store to make bread for everyone during the first two days.

"Now evyerone is having one small meal a day which contains either a
little bit of spaghetti or rice, all that left in the church."

When asked why the Palestinian resistance took the church as refuge, Salman
explained that they were left with two choices, either to be killed in cold
blood by the Israeli occupation forces or run for their lives to the chrch.
The chose the latter.

This happened right after the Israeli tanks shelled Omar Bin Khattab mosque
last tuesday located just across the church's square. They ran into the
church for protection.

"For the last 1700 years, the Church of the Nativity has embraced the poor
and the persecuted and it will keep doing that in these difficult days too,"
Salman added.

He pointed out, "Usually, there are a lot of armed policemen and security
agents protecting governmental buildings here. When the Israelis invaded the
Nativity Church area, snipers targeted those armed policemen and started
killing them without hesitation. Their only choice was to take refuge in the
Nativity Church."

Salman assured that the Israelis tried to knock down the main door of the
Nativity Church a number of times without success, but he said that they
succeeded to destroy part of a wall.

He pointed out that his main mission together with the governer is to
negotiate the wounded release with the Red Cross and the Red Crecscent. "So
far we haven't been successful," he added.

-end-