From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Scottish Episcopal Church Service for Queen Mother

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:38:47 -0700

The Scottish Episcopal Church

Press release
08/04/02

All invited to prayer service for Queen Mother

The rector of the church where the Queen Mother was confirmed 86 years ago
today invited all comers to a special prayer service for her.
The Rev Canon Malcolm Richardson will be opening the doors of St John's,
Forfar from 9.30am tomorrow (Tuesday April 9).
Canon Richardson said: "This is a chance for our congregation and for people
from surrounding areas to come to church to pray."
The service will include an address by Colonel David Lloyd-Jones, a member
of St John's congregation and a former administrator at nearby Glamis Castle
- the Queen Mother's family home.
Colonel Lloyd-Jones' address will include personal reflections based on the
many times he met the Queen Mother during his time at the castle from
1978-88.
The Forfar service has been arranged at 9.30am to give worshippers enough
time to get home to watch the Queen Mother's 11.30am funeral service at
Westminster Abbey.
The Queen Mother was one of 12 confirmation candidates at St John's Scottish
Episcopal church in Forfar on November 5, 1916.
In the years that followed, she always kept a close link with the church,
attending its centenary service in 1981.
The Queen mother worshipped at the Scottish Episcopal chapel in Glamis
Castle throughout her youth. When she turned 16, she was confirmed at nearby
St John's.
Worshippers will be invited to say an adapted prayer from the church's
funeral service at the service.
Memorial Prayers for Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother
"Lord of all our days, we thank thee for the years from childhood to old age
in which thy servant Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother has been among us,
and for all that was accomplished in her long life. As in this life she
glorified thy name, so beyond death may she praise thee still, and find
rest, peace and joy in thine eternal kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen."
The prayer reflects the Queen Mother's love of traditional church language.
PHOTO DETAILS
St John's still has the 1916 confirmation register. Contact Canon Richardson
for more details.
NOTE TO EDITORS
The Scottish Episcopal Church is a member of the Anglican family of
churches. It has hundreds of congregations across Scotland, from Burravoe on
the Isle of Yell in the north to Kirkcudbright in the south.

CONTACT

Andrew Heavens
(press officer)
0131 225 6357 (tel)
07929 003809 (mob)
0131 346 7247 (fax)
press@scotland. anglican.org

The Rev Canon Malcolm Richardson
St John The Evangelist
East High Street
Forfar
01307 463440

Colonel David Lloyd-Jones
St John's congregation member and former administrator at Glamis Castle
01307 818 305