From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Encyclical of Archbishop Demetrios for the Preparation of the Holy Myrrh

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:56:44 -0700

                    GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
    8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021  Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212)
                                  774-0215
         Web: http://www.goarch.org Email: communications@goarch.org

Protocol Number 35/02
                                                    April 2, 2002
                                                      Preparation   of  Holy
Myrrh

To the Most Reverend Hierarchs, the Reverend Priests and Deacons, the Monks
and  Nuns,  the  Presidents and Members of the Parish Councils of the Greek
Orthodox  Communities,  the  Day  and  Afternoon  Schools, the Philoptochos
Sisterhoods,  the  Youth,  the Hellenic Organizations, and the entire Greek
Orthodox Family in America

Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

      This  year  a  very  special  event  will take place at the Ecumenical
Patriarchate  in  Constantinople,  an  event that occurs approximately once
each  decade.   On  Holy  Thursday,  His  All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch
Bartholomew will lead in the preparation of Holy Myrrh.  In the service and
act  of  preparing  the  Holy Myrrh, which is used in the Sacrament of Holy
Chrismation  and  in  the  Consecration  of churches, the Patriarch will be
joined  by  a  large  number  Hierarchs  from  several of the Autocephalous
Churches and from Churches of the Patriarchate throughout the world.

      Due  to  the tremendous needs for Holy Myrrh in the sacred ministry of
the  Church  to  millions  of  believers,  a  significant  quantity must be
prepared.   It  has  been  a tradition for our Churches as an expression of
participation  to  assist  with the expenses of the preparation of the Holy
Myrrh.   This  is a contribution to a most-holy ceremony that will offer to
the Churches the very grace, sanctification, renewal, and regeneration that
the  Holy  Spirit  grants to those who enter the Church through Baptism and
Chrismation and for all who enter into our holy edifices.

      I  ask  you, the faithful of our Holy Archdiocese, to take this unique
opportunity  and offer generously through a special tray to be presented in
all of our parishes on Sunday, April 14. The donations should be identified
as "Holy Myrrh Contribution" and sent to the Archdiocese.

      May  the sanctifying presence of the Holy Spirit continue to grant you
strength in this blessed Lenten Season.

                                           With paternal love in Christ,

                                                     +DEMETRIOS
                                                   Archbishop of America