From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Patriarchs Call Bethlehem Christians to Ring Christmas Bells for Peace

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Mon, 8 Apr 2002 23:18:27 EDT

For further information:
Fr. Raed Abusahlia
Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem
P.O.Box  14152 - Jerusalem 97500
E-mail address: <A HREF="mailto:latinpat@actcom.co.il";>latinpat@actcom.co.il</A>
Personal e-mail: <A HREF="mailto:nonviolence@writeme.com";>nonviolence@writeme.com</A>
Patriarchate's Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.lpj.org/";>http://www.lpj.org</A>
Personal Homepage: <A HREF="http://go.to/nonviolence";>http://go.to/nonviolence</A>
Fr. Labib's Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.al-bushra.org/";>http://www.al-bushra.org</A>
My brother's Homepage: <A HREF="http://go.to/samipage";>http://go.to/samipage</A>

BETHLEHEM CHECKPOINT, 8 April 2002--Denied access again to the town of
Bethlehem by Israeli military, the Patriarchs and heads of Christian churches
in Jerusalem issued a call to their faithful to stand for peace in Bethlehem.

In a most unusual gesture of concern and good will, the leading Christian
heirarchs set out as a group from their cathedrals in Jerusalem and journeyed
toward Bethlehem.  They were halted at the military checkpoint for the second
time in several days.

They called for the ringing of the Christmas bells throughout the Christian
triangle of Bethlehem, Beit Jala and Beit Sahour to summon the concern of the
world's Christian people for the cause of peace.

The church leaders specifically called upon Israeli authorities to withdraw
their forces from Bethlehem which has been under heavy seige for days.

They asked the faithful Christians in Bethlehem to be courageous and patient
as they face great difficulties and pain.  Peace and justice come from God,
they said.

The full text of their message follows:

Peace upon all those who wish peace

Peace cannot be obtained by the war nor by the tanks or by the bloodshed,
especially in Bethlehem.

There is no need for more bloodshed in Bethlehem.  This morning blood was
shed.  We refuse all bloodshed, Israeli or Palestinian.  Bethlehem must not
remain any more a place of war.

We ask the Israeli Authorities to withdraw all its instruments of war; to go
in peace, and to send back their soldiers to their families.

On this barrier of war we proclaim the Gospel of peace, the Gospel of the
Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Prince of Peace.  We invite all the
Churches of the world to proclaim it with us.

We invite our faithful to remain strong in their patience, faith and in the
tranquility of soul which comes from the peace and the justice of God.  We
invite them to ring the bells of Christmas today at 2,00 p.m. in Bethlehem,
Beit-Jala and Beit-Sahour, the town of the Shepherds and the Angels who
proclaimed peace to the world and in all the parishes in the Holy Land, as a
sign of the peace in their hearts and as moment of prayer and supplications
until the end of this war.

Patriarchs and Heads of Christians Churches in Jerusalem,

At the Military Barrier before Bethlehem

-end-