From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Council Calls on U.S. Leaders to Help End Mideast Violence

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:44:16 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 9, 2002

ELCA COUNCIL CALLS ON U.S. LEADERS TO HELP END MIDEAST VIOLENCE
02-76-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Church Council of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) called on leaders of the U.S. government "to
be resolute and determined" in seeking an end to the escalated
violence in the Middle East, in a resolution adopted April 6.  The
council also heard comments about the current situation in a
telephone call to the Rev. Munib A. Younan, bishop of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Jordan (and Palestine) (ELCJ), Jerusalem.
     The Church Council is the ELCA's board of directors and serves
as the legislative authority of the church between its churchwide
assemblies. The council met here April 5-7. Assemblies are held every
other year; the next is Aug. 11-17, 2003, in Milwaukee.
     In its Middle East resolution, the council called on U.S.
leaders to:
     + work to establish a cease-fire;
     + call all parties to adhere to their international obligations
regarding humanitarian law and human rights standards;
     + seek the establishment of an international peacekeeping force
in the region;
     + facilitate the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Palestinian-
controlled areas;
     + bring about an end to the Israeli occupation of the
Palestinian-controlled territories; and
     + help resume negotiations that will lead to sustained peace
with justice.
     "We urge all members of the ELCA to join us in writing to the
President of the United States and senators and representatives," the
resolution continued.
     The council also affirmed a continuing ELCA Prayer Vigil for
Peace in the Middle East. It asked "that the members of this church
hold all people of the Middle East -- Christian, Jewish and Muslim --
in their prayers."
     The continuing Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza "is
the true problem that ignited the violence," said Ghassan "Gus"
Khoury, council member, Mt. Prospect, Ill., speaking in support of
the resolution.  Khoury said he has relatives living in Ramallah, one
of the West Bank cities that came under control of Israeli military
forces in the past week.
     Khoury said he is "disturbed" that news reports present a
distorted perspective about the Palestinian people.  The church can
work to change such perspectives, he said.
     "Lutherans can support justice for both sides," said Khoury.
     The council's resolution followed a similar statement April 4
from the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, which he asked
to be read or distributed in all ELCA congregations.  Hanson asked
ELCA members to pray for peace and write to elected leaders urging
them to use their influence to stop the violence in the Middle East
and bring the parties to peace discussions.
     Younan, speaking from his home in Jerusalem, said he was
grateful to ELCA leaders and members who have called and sent e-mail
to him and other Lutherans there.  Many West Bank towns are under a
round-the-clock curfew, and residents cannot leave their homes except
for designated times to get to grocery or drug stores, he said.
Younan said even during those times, Palestinians have been injured
or shot at, and supplies are scarce especially in Bethlehem.
     Christian church leaders in the Middle East have met several
times in the past week, Younan said.  They tried without success to
present peace proposals to Yasser Arafat, chairman of the Palestinian
Authority, and Ariel Sharon, Israel's prime minister, he said.
Younan said the church leaders hope to meet with U.S. Secretary of
State Colin Powell, sent by President Bush to the region this week.
     "What we are worried about is that this war, this crisis, is
creating a polarization on both sides," Younan said. "Hatred is
growing.  The call of revenge will be heard.  We are worried this
unstable situation will invite many of our Palestinian Christians to
leave the country and go to the United States of America because they
don't find any future here.  We don't want to end Palestinian
Christianity in this part of the world to be witnesses for Christ."
     When the fighting ends, Israelis and Palestinians must live
together, and "Lutheran theology" offers a way for both sides to
build bridges, Younan said.
     "We have to carry the cross," Younan said of Christians in the
Middle East. "The cross is heavy.  It is not easy to carry the cross.
But at the same time, as long as God wants us to carry it, we are
ready to submit to God's will."
     Younan echoed the statements of Hanson and the council, asking
U.S. Lutherans to call on the U.S. government to use its influence to
stop the violence and work for a lasting peace.  A prayer vigil for
peace must continue to help "change the hearts" of people
and politicians, and Younan said humanitarian assistance is
needed to help West Bank residents who are out of work.

For information contact: