From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Africa University must build leadership, agency exec says

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:43:09 -0500

April 9, 2002 News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
10-31-71BP{145}

NOTE: A head-and-shoulders photo of the Rev. Jerome King Del Pino is
available at http://umns.org/photos/headshots.html. Two sidebars, UMNS
stories #146 and #147, also may be used with this report.

By Celinda J. Hughes*

MUTARE, Zimbabwe (UMNS) - Africa University's biggest challenge in the new
century is to strengthen its leadership, according to the top executive of
the United Methodist Board of Higher Education and Ministry.

The Rev. Jerome King Del Pino pledged his agency's support during remarks to
the Africa University Board of Directors during its April 3-4 meeting. The
school is based in Mutare.

"Our task as a Board of Higher Education and Ministry is to care for and do
all that is prudent and bold," Del Pino said, "to ensure that all of our
institutions of higher learning that are integral to nurturing leadership
for the church and the world are focused in mission, strong in
infrastructure and effective in their management. This is especially the
case for Africa University."

He also emphasized the importance of his agency and other stakeholders
working to strengthen the partnerships that were responsible for the birth
of Africa University 10 years ago.

"There are no big I's or little you's around this table," he said. "I am
deeply convicted that we are all committed to responding creatively, boldly
and faithfully to the challenges that confront us at this stage of the
journey."

Del Pino also said the Board of Higher Education and Africa University must:
7	Not succumb to the notion that mission follows money. "It never has
and it never will in any enterprise that is born of faith in a living God of
history."
7	Ensure that in all its actions, the board takes seriously "the
present realities" while not blurring the university's commitment to bold
and sustainable growth and development.
7	Hold fast to the vision that Africa University is different, and
constantly critique and define that difference.
7	Work to ensure that Africa University is effectively represented at
the 2004 General Conference, the United Methodist Church's top lawmaking
assembly.

He also said the board and university administration must work together by:
7	Having a nonnegotiable balanced budget policy.
7	Establishing and maintaining a budgeting process that is driven by
income and not expenses.
7	Having a clean auditing process.
7	Establishing an infrastructure that will provide support for
aggressive pan-African student recruitment.
7	Filling and maintaining the most effective office of information
within the family of United Methodist-related schools.

While the board focused on its future, it also took time to celebrate its
history. On the first day of the meeting, the directors as well as other
visitors joined the students, faculty and staff for the launch of Africa
University's 10th anniversary observances. Events will be held throughout
the year, culminating in a Nov. 16 celebration.

Three of the visitors attending the launch were John and Diedre Hepburn of
Bennettsville, S.C., and Bettie Jones Smith of Lexington, S.C. The launch
was significant for Diedre Hepburn because her parents were the university's
major benefactors. "When my mother was alive, Africa University was her
heart.  Naturally it was and remains my father's heart. Since our visit,
Africa University is our heart also," she said.

Hepburn is the daughter of Jonas and the late Odette Miller Kennedy. The
Kennedys provided the first major gift of  $100,000 to the school in 1991,
helping launch a $10 million endowment fund campaign. Later, the Kennedys
gave money to build the first dormitory, dedicated in December 1996, and
they endowed several scholarships.
# # #
*Hughes, a staff member of United Methodist Communications, is Africa
University's interim director of information.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org