From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

University's board gets first alumnus member

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:48:26 -0500

April 9, 2002	News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.     10-31-71B{147}

NOTE: This report may be used with UMNS stories #145 and #146.

By Celinda J. Hughes*

MUTARE, Zimbabwe (UMNS) - Africa University's work in training new leaders
is yielding a dividend for the school's board of directors in the form of
Napolean Adamu.

Adamu, a 1998 graduate, has become the school's first alumnus to join the
30-member board, which met April 3-4 in Mutare. He was a member of the first
master of business administration class at the United Methodist-related
school.

He brings firsthand knowledge of students' concerns to the board. "Having
been a student myself, I understand their problems," he said. "The financial
condition of many students at Africa University has been a challenge from
the very beginning."

Other challenges include the political tension and evidence of violence
across Zimbabwe, as well as economic crises and the rampant HIV/AID pandemic
affecting the continent. "In spite of everything, we need the United
Methodist Church now more than ever," according to the school's office of
information.

"Do not be discouraged by what is happening in government." Adamu said.
"Africa University should be considered a separate entity. It is an
international institution, not a Zimbabwean institution. The church should
be sympathetic to the plight of Africa University students."

Africa University is forging ahead in its mission to develop committed
leaders. Next January, it will launch a master's degree program at its new
Institute of Peace, Leadership and Governance.

"My expectation for the future of Africa University in the next decade is
that it will grow in size and quality," Adamu said. "I am interested in our
producing students not just for the sake of producing numbers, but those who
are academically prepared to meet the technological advances or contribute
to the technological advancement of Africa."

Adamu is doing his part as the coordinator of the Nigeria Iowa Partnership
(now including the Nebraska and Eastern Pennsylvania annual conferences) of
the United Methodist Church, located in Jalilngo, Taraba State, Nigeria. He
works in partnership with annual conferences on the construction of primary
and secondary schools and related infrastructures.

His alma mater remains close to his heart.

"I love Africa University," he said, "(and) I will continue to pray that it
may grow spiritually and in physical structure as well."
# # #
* Hughes, a staff member of United Methodist Communications, is Africa
University's interim director of information.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org