From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Church of Canada Responds to Canadian Jewish Congress

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:20:35 -0700

For Immediate Release, Wednesday, April 10, 2002

Toronto: The United Church of Canada receives with deep regret the
announcement from the Canadian Jewish
Congress of their decision to suspend participation in the Canadian
Christian Jewish Consultation. We continue
to be committed to dialogue and are available to resume conversation at any
time.

The consultation has brought together, for over 30 years, representatives
of Canadian churches including the
Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, the United, Anglican, Presbyterian
and Lutheran churches with
representatives of the Canadian Jewish Congress. The United Church of
Canada through this time has deeply
valued the opportunities to share information and positions on matters of
common concern with Jewish
colleagues in Canada.

Over the course of the years of the dialogue the events in Israel and
Palestine have consistently been a matter
of deep concern in the relationship, and in particular the events of the
last 18 months have revealed significant
differences between our communities. We believe the ability to name and
address these differences in
understanding and perspective are critical to dealing with the significant
crisis, which concerns us all.
It is our conviction that there will be no peaceful solution that does not
guarantee both peoples, Palestinians and
Israelis, the right to exist in security and freedom in their own states.
It is clear that no military solution can
bring about peace. This means that any peaceful solution must be negotiated
and built on the framework of
international law. The resolution of the illegal occupation of Palestine by
Israel must be addressed in any
movement towards peace.

The United Church of Canada has frequently been accused of being silent in
the face of suicide terrorism. As the
Moderator of the United Church stated in her recent letter to the National
Post, the Church deplores all acts of
terrorism, those that are individual and those that are state sponsored, by
both Israelis and Palestinians. The
letter also stated our deep sorrow over the tragic deaths of so many people
both, Israelis and Palestinians. It
also reaffirmed our passionate concern for the security and well being of
Israel.

The United Church deplores the recent outbreak of antisemitic attacks on
Jewish persons and property
throughout the world and alarmingly present in Canada. We repudiate any
suggestion that disagreement with
the policies of the state of Israel should lead to attacks against the
Jewish people.
The United Church of Canada has always cherished the opportunity to engage
in dialogue with the Jewish
community. We stand in solidarity with them in their concern for security
and peace for Israel. At the same time
we lift up the rights of the Palestinian people for peace with justice.
Holding these two positions together we
realize has created significant challenges for the Canadian Jewish
Congress. We express our hope that our
common desire for peace will overcome our differences.

Mary-Frances Denis,
Communications Officer
The United Church of Canada
Tel: 416.231.7680 ext. 2016