From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Top Franciscan Urges Negotiated End to Bethlehem Seige

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2002 18:33:56 EDT

For more information:
Fr. Raed Abusahlia
Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem
P.O.Box  14152 - Jerusalem 97500
E-mail address: latinpat@actcom.co.il
Personal e-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Patriarchate's Homepage: www.lpj.org

ROME SUPERIOR WANTS HUMANITARIAN INTERVENTION

JERUSALEM, April 13, 2002--As the standoff continued at the Church of the
Nativity in Bethlehem, the superior of the Franciscans in Rome has called for
a humanitarian intervention, and has urged a negotiated settlement to the
siege.

According to the Zenit.org news service based in Rome, Father Giacomo Bini,
Minister General of the Order of Friars Minor, published a statement
yesterday in which he states that Israeli soldiers appear to have occupied
part of the Franciscan monastery.  Here is the text of the statement:

* * *

In the name of all the Friars Minor, of those in the Holy Land in particular,
I wish to clarify some points that have not emerged clearly up to now, or
could be misunderstood, and present some demands.

1. The Need for an Immediate Humanitarian Intervention

The situation that has come about in the complex of buildings of the Church
of the Nativity in Bethlehem (part of which pertains to the Custody of the
Holy Land, and which has already lasted for two weeks) requires an urgent
humanitarian intervention.

Since yesterday evening, the supplies of water and food have run out; the
removal of the body of the young Palestinian killed has not been permitted;
it is not possible to provide suitable care to the other gravely wounded
Palestinian; the supply of electric power, available in adjacent buildings,
has been cut off from the Franciscan Convent alone; permission has been
denied to enter the "Casa Nova," a structure for the reception of Pilgrims
and an integral part of our Convent; it is feared that special forces of the
Israeli Army are already in position inside.

2. The Friars in Bethlehem Are Not Hostages

I wish to firmly state that the Friars and Sisters of the religious community
in Bethlehem cannot be considered as hostages.  They have freely chosen to
remain in that place, the custody of which has been entrusted to them by the
Holy See, and which constitutes their home.

The other 200 Palestinians besieged inside the Basilica have taken refuge
there by force in order to flee from the sweep and search by the Israeli
army, just as had happened to the 5 Italian journalists during the first day
of the siege.  Up to now they have not committed any act of violence or abuse
of power against the religious community.

3. A Possible Solution

While expressing the most absolute condemnation of every act of violence --
from whichever side it comes from -- we confirm our solidarity with all those
who suffer as a consequence of the serious conflict taking place.

In order to avoid a humanitarian catastrophe, a pointless spilling of blood,
which would inevitably lead to a worsening of the hatred between the parties,
we urgently request that the Palestinians be allowed to leave the building of
the Nativity, guaranteeing them their life, and thus permitting our
Communities to take up their work of pacification once again.

Such a solution would open up a fresh glimmer of hope for dialogue, the only
way to procure a civilized coexistence between Israelis and Palestinians, and
which would guarantee an honorable way out to all parties concerned.

The whole world is watching with attention that which is happening in the
Place where Jesus Christ, Prince of Peace, was born. Millions of men and
women are waiting for the renewal of the miracle of new life that overcomes
all thoughts and actions of death.

We continue to receive moving testimonies of solidarity with our brothers,
who are facing up with admirable equanimity to the difficulties associated
with the dramatic situation in which they live.

To all -- journalists, communications operators, men and women of good will
-- we ask that you act, in accordance with your possibilities, to favor an
equitable conclusion to this event.  It would be a sign of hope and a promise
of stability for the future of this Holy and bloodstained Land.

-end-