From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Primates Honour Archbishop George Carey

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:34:45 -0700

ACNS 2958 - PRIMATES' MEETING - 14 April 2002

Primates honour Archbishop George Carey

Text of a statement made by the Senior Primate of the Anglican Communion,
Archbishop Robin Eames, Archbishop of Armagh, on behalf of the Primates
during the Eucharist at Canterbury Cathedral:

"As the Primates of the world-wide Anglican Communion meeting here in
Canterbury and today celebrating the Risen Lord in this Cathedral, it has
been felt that as Senior Primate on their behalf I pay tribute to Archbishop
George and Eileen Carey. This will be the last public occasion when the
Archbishop will worship with his fellow Primates as Archbishop of Canterbury
and we wish to make our tribute in the context of divine worship - a
privilege we have treasured within our fellowship over the past 11 years of
his leadership.

"George Carey's ministry to the Primates has helped a growing and diverse
global family work, pray, witness and minister to a world longing for peace
and justice and new life. Here on this historic site we thank him for his
untiring efforts on behalf of us all, for his pastoral visits throughout our
world and his strong leadership in the Anglican gatherings of the world. We
thank God for his ministry to us as individual Church leaders in times of
stress and difficulty in such places as the Sudan and the Middle East. We
thank him for his understanding and support. Many things have transpired
during his Primacy but surely his abiding legacy to our Communion will be
his strengthening our sense of inter-dependence as we attempt in mission and
care to proclaim the Resurrection faith to a broken and tired world, but
also a world of wonder and beauty.

"We thank God for the friendship and support Eileen Carey has offered to our
Communion alongside Archbishop George. She has exercised her own particular
ministry throughout our world and we thank her for all she has done to
demonstrate her care and support.

"As their colleagues in the great ministry of the Church of the Risen Christ
we thank them both and we pray that their entire family will enjoy many
years of happiness together in the future."

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org. Any
comments about the content of the article should be directed to the author.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this message, as any replies are discarded
automatically.