From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Vatican Leader Gives Interview on Crisis in Bethlehem

From JerusalemRelOrgs@aol.com
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:48:38 EDT

For more information:
Fr. Raed Abusahlia
Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem
P.O.Box  14152 - Jerusalem 97500
E-mail address: latinpat@actcom.co.il
Personal e-mail: nonviolence@writeme.com
Patriarchate's Homepage: www.lpj.org

Holy See4s Position Vis-`-vis Palestinian-Israeli Crisis
Statements of Vatican Secretary for Relations with States

JERUSALEM, April 14, 2002 <A HREF="http://www.zenit.org/";>(Zenit.org)</A>.-
Archbishop Jean-Louis Tauran, Vatican
secretary for relations with states, is following events in the Holy Land
closely, especially the crisis in Bethlehem.  He is in constant touch with
Archbishop Pietro Sambi, the papal nuncio in Israel.

The Vatican missionary agency <A HREF="http://www.fides.org/";>Fides</A>
published this interview with Archbishop
Tauran.  It was made available by the news service Zenit.com:

Q: On the ninth day of the siege of the Nativity Church in Bethlehem, what is
the situation?

Archbishop Tauran: The problem at the basilica is a serious one, especially
from a humanitarian point of view, because there are nearly 250 people, the
majority armed Palestinians, along with 30 Franciscan friars, four Franciscan
nuns, five Greek Orthodox monks, and nine Armenian Orthodox monks closed
inside the Franciscan monastery.

The apostolic nuncio in Israel is devoting his attention to this situation.
There has been talk about a Holy See plan to solve the crisis. I would prefer
to speak in terms of prompt humanitarian action.

Q: What solution would you propose for the situation in Bethlehem?

Archbishop Tauran: The Holy See has no technical solutions to put forward.
But we can share some ideas.

For example, we could think about setting up a joint commission, composed of
Israeli and Palestinian representatives, whose sole purpose would be to
negotiate the withdrawal of the people who are inside the basilica.
Eventually, if the two sides so request, the Holy See could assist here,
insofar as it has a certain credibility, namely, the moral authority of John
Paul II.

Q: The Franciscans seem to have taken a position in favor of the
Palestinians, by remaining in the monastery after the armed Palestinians
arrived, out of fear that the Israeli army would kill these militants. What
is the position of the Holy See?

Archbishop Tauran: The Franciscans are insisting that they are not hostages,
and that they are staying in their monastery because they want to be faithful
to their vocation. For centuries, the Popes have relied on them to safeguard
the holy places.

Generally speaking, all the holy places of the three monotheistic religions
must be regarded as inviolable. But with the Catholic sanctuaries, in
particular, the tradition is reinforced by recent specific agreements,
codified in international law since both the Israelis and the Palestinians
have entered into bilateral agreements [with the Holy See], in which they
undertake to maintain and respect the status quo regarding the Christian holy
places, and the relative rights of the Christian communities.

To explain the gravity of the current situation, let me begin with the fact
that the occupation of the holy places by armed men is a violation of a long
tradition of law that dates back to the Ottoman era. Never before have they
been occupied, for such a lengthy time, by armed men. Today we have reached a
tragic situation in which both sides continue to insist that they are right.
It has become a practical necessity to find a solution.

We can certainly understand that the Israeli state must respond to defend
itself against terrorism. No one can justify terrorism, in any form. The
problem is how to respond. Too often, the people have to pay the price.
Legitimate response must be measured. It is a question of proportion between
the evil to be fought and the means used against it.

The international community has repeated, many times, its desire to see these
two states coexist. This is, without question, the only imaginable solution
for this conflict. There is no other solution to ensure peace between the two
peoples and peace throughout the region.

Q: Can you imagine the imposition of a peacekeeping force?

Archbishop Tauran: More and more, it seems necessary to have a third party
involved, to help both sides to put aside the language of warfare, to look at
each other, regain mutual trust, and sit down around a table. As for the
eventual statute and form of this structure, it is best to leave that to
jurists, because off-the-shelf juridical solutions are difficult for this
region!

What is important is to have an impartial, friendly presence. I have the
impression that more and more people are becoming convinced of the wisdom of
that suggestion, which was put forward by the Holy See in November 2000.

Q: How is Pope John Paul II reacting to this situation?

The apostolic nunciature in Israel, and the Secretariat of State, are keeping
the Pope informed, day by day, about developments.

The problems that we are discussing here have been the subjects of his
constant prayer. He has, on several occasions, spelled out his position: The
sides must have respect for each other and for their legitimate aspirations;
the application of international law; withdrawal from the Occupied
Territories; and an international statute guaranteed for all the holiest
parts of Jerusalem.

These are the indispensable conditions for beginning to restore peace and
breaking the infernal cycle of hatred and revenge. Quite rightly, the Pope
himself told the diplomatic corps, at the beginning of the year: "One against
the other, neither Israelis nor Palestinians, can win the war, but together
they can win peace!"

It is also important to keep in mind that for the Holy See, diplomacy is not
an end in itself. It is a means we employ so that justice and spiritual
principles prevail in international life. I would also certainly add that we,
as Christians, always have a duty to pray for everyone so that respect for
life and the meaning of man will never be lacking.

Q: The Christians in that region are caught in crossfire, and tempted to
leave their country ...

Archbishop Tauran: I think we have to be realistic. When you are living a
wartime situation, you cannot ask everyone to be a hero. It is clear that
there is a great temptation to leave, at least for those who are able to do
so. But it is the role of the bishops and priests to tell Christians that
they have a vocation to remain. I think it would be terrible to have a Holy
Land without Christians. Christians have been there for centuries.

In order to avoid such a situation, we have to create conditions of life that
restore confidence in the future: lasting peace, decent housing, and work.
And I would also add the necessity of vivifying ecclesial communion, because
the Christian community, united around the Pope and the bishops, is the best
antidote to despair.

-end-