From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Black United Methodists show love for Bennett College

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:42:42 -0500

April 17, 2002	News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.     10-31-71B{165}

NOTE: This report is accompanied by two sidebars, UMNS stories #166 and
#167.

By Denise Johnson Stovall*

INDIANAPOLIS (UMNS) - Members of Black Methodists for Church Renewal "put
their money where their heart is" in support of the denomination's
historical college for African-American women.

During an impromptu offering, members of the denomination's national black
caucus showed their love and support for Bennett College in Greensboro,
N.C., by collecting $3,024. The money was raised at the Black College Fund
luncheon, held during BMCR's April 10-13 gathering.

James Salley, associate vice chancellor for development for Africa
University, noted that a recent story in the Chronicle of Higher Education
asked the question, "Can Bennett College live?" "Well, my friends," he said,
"with God's help, all things are possible."

He asked the United Methodists who had lunch at his table to stand. "My
table has just collected close to $200 for Bennett College," he boasted.
Looking around the room, he made a challenge to other luncheon guests. "Can
your table top this? Let's see who can do it!"

In a matter of minutes, the hotel ballroom had the look of a brokerage firm,
with participants shaking dollars and checks in the air. The Rev. Joreatha
Capers, administrator of the fund that serves the 11 historically black
United Methodist colleges, shook her head in amazement and said,  "I'm
overwhelmed and overjoyed by the generosity, but most importantly, by the
responsiveness of the attendees at the luncheon at their willingness to
demonstrate their love and support for Bennett College."

"Lord have mercy ... My God, look at God!" Salley shouted as the money
flowed to the front of the room. "This is cash and checks - not pledges.

"I want you to understand what you just did," he said. "Now, if we can
transfer the enthusiasm and knowledge in this room to the church."

The Rev. Jerome King Del Pino, top executive of the United Methodist Board
of Higher Education and Ministry, agreed that the United Methodist Church
should not forsake Bennett College and the other institutions of the Black
College Fund. "Our job is to guard the intellectual life of the church as
mandated by the Book of Discipline," he explained. "People are asking a
question that cannot be answered by patting people on the head saying,
'Everything's going to be all right.'

"This is a filthy rich church," Del Pino continued "but Bennett's problem is
not just money. I lament the day when one of our Methodist colleges was
forced to close. We cannot lose another one."

Last November, Bennett College was sanctioned for one year by the regional
accrediting body, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, for failure
to comply with criteria of possessing sufficient financial resources to
support all programs. The school has also undergone leadership problems, and
Charles Fuget, former vice president and interim president of Indiana
University of Pennsylvania, was named interim president of the school. Fuget
served as commissioner for post-secondary and higher education for the state
of Pennsylvania and also as a member of the church's Board of Higher and
Ministry. He succeeds Althia Collins, who resigned in December.

The black colleges will not go out of business, Del Pino said, and he
encouraged BMCR to continue to tell the schools' stories. "If we are going
to be a church that is going to do (spiritual) battle in the 21st century,
we invite you to join us in serving your children and your children's
children."

BMCR represents nearly 300,000 black United Methodists. It was organized in
1968 as a forum for black Methodists to define issues and develop strategies
for change within the church, which has about 8.4 million U.S. members. The
caucus aims to empower black Methodists for witness and service, involve
them in the struggle for economic justice, and expose racism at all levels
of the church.

The caucus' April 10-13 gathering drew about 500 people. The conference
kicked off with a mid-day worship service and an evening communion service
led by Indiana Area Bishop Woodie W. White with participation from the 13
other African-American bishops across the denomination and a 100-voice mass
choir. Other activities included workshops on such topics as advancing
technology, HIV/AIDS and the church, and leadership strategies for ministry.

In other highlights, BMCR members also:
7	Re-elected and elected officers: Anne Fleming Williams,
Philadelphia, chairperson; the Rev. Vincent Harris, Houston, vice
chairperson; Velva Hardaway, Dayton, Ohio, secretary; and Mollie Stewart,
Huntsville, Ala., treasurer.
7	Heard that Africa University in Mutare, Zimbabwe, has achieved a $20
million endowment. The only United Methodist-related degree-granting school
in the continent plans an international celebration of its 10th anniversary
Nov. 13-16.
7	Learned that 31 annual conferences have reported programs that will
be regional and public to demonstrate "Acts of Repentance" toward African
Americans who profess Methodism.
7	Heard a report from the churchwide "Strengthening the Black Church
in the 21st Century" initiative on new congregations and revitalized
flagship churches.

National BMCR president is Anne Fleming-Williams. Local arrangements
chairperson for this year's meeting was Delores Casey, who has been with
BMCR 12 years and serves as treasurer of the hosting North Central
Jurisdiction.

"This has been a great experience," Casey said. "One of our goals was to
rekindle our spirituality, and I feel like we did that. The teaching and
preaching was awesome! Now we can go back to our different parts of the
country and put true meaning in this year's theme: Share the Heritage: Claim
the Power - Make a Difference."

BMCR's next meeting will be April 2-5, 2003, in Los Angeles.
# # #
*Stovall, a free-lance writer, is a member of Camp Wisdom United Methodist
Church in Dallas. Ethyl McCane, a free-lance writer living in Indianapolis,
contributed to this report.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org