From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Collect Funds to Fight Hunger, Respond to Disasters

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:11:12 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 17, 2002

LUTHERANS COLLECT FUNDS TO FIGHT HUNGER, RESPOND TO DISASTERS
02-092-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA)   Members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) contributed more than $15.57 million for the church's
World Hunger Appeal and more than $12 million for international and
domestic disaster relief in 2001.
     "Although the World Hunger Program had budgeted conservatively
for 2001 with a $16 million income projection, we still faced a
$430,000 shortfall," said Lita Brusick Johnson, director of the
appeal, ELCA Division for Congregational Ministries.
     "We were able to cover this shortfall from reserves and
underspending and met our 2001 commitments to Lutheran World Relief,
Lutheran World Federation and other partners," she said.  The 2000
appeal garnered more than $15.86 million, surpassing the expected
income goal of $14 million.
     "Given the extraordinary events of Sept. 11, we have chosen not
to change our budgeted income projection for 2002 of $16.5 million,
but we will be watching income very carefully," Johnson said.
     In 2001, 71.8 percent of the appeal's funds was spent on
fighting hunger and poverty overseas and 11.7 percent was spent in
direct relief and community development in the Unites States.
Another 9.6 percent provided educational resources for the ELCA,
hunger advocacy work and environmental stewardship efforts.  The
remaining 6.9 percent was spent on administration, fund raising and
communication expenses.
     "World Hunger income has been relatively flat for the past two
years, off the pace we need to maintain if we hope to double giving
by 2005, moving from $12.5 million to $25 million as affirmed by the
1999 ELCA Churchwide Assembly," said Johnson.
     The ELCA's response to international and domestic disaster in
2001 "was amazing," Johnson said.
     Gifts to ELCA International Disaster Response totaled $1.6
million, up from the $1.2 million given last year, she said.
Earthquakes in India and El Salvador and the refugee crisis in
Afghanistan drove this response, Johnson said.
     Members of the ELCA gave $10.5 million to ELCA Domestic
Disaster Response and Lutheran Disaster Response (LDR) in 2001.  They
contributed $2 million in the previous fiscal year.  LDR is a
ministry of the ELCA and Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS).
     "Domestic Disaster Response and Lutheran Disaster Response,
spurred on by giving in the wake of Sept. 11, received more than
double our largest domestic response to date," Johnson said.
     About $7 million was given by individuals and congregations of
the church in response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the
United States, she said.
     "In addition to general World Hunger income, we received
$329,000 that was earmarked for 'Stand With Africa,'" said Johnson.
"This new second-mile campaign is intended to increase World Hunger
giving, providing significantly more designated funds to help
Lutheran World Relief and our companion churches deal with AIDS and
hunger crises in Africa," she said.
     "Stand With Africa" is a three-year Lutheran campaign that
focuses on issues significant to Africa, including HIV/AIDS, economic
justice, food security, and peace and reconciliation.
     Developed by the ELCA World Hunger Appeal and Program, LCMS
World Relief, and Lutheran World Relief   the overseas relief and
development agency of the ELCA and LCMS   the campaign includes a
strategy for increasing available financial resources by encouraging
individual and congregational giving for Africa.
     In August 2001 the Churchwide Assembly called on the 5.13
million members of the ELCA to "support generously" the campaign
within the context of the ELCA World Hunger Appeal and Program.
-- -- --
Editors: Contributions to the ELCA World Hunger Appeal can be sent
ELCA WHA
P.O. Box 71764
Chicago, IL 60694-1764

For information contact: