From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Black caucus recommends heritage center

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:43:18 -0500

April 17, 2002 News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville,
Tenn.  10-31-71B{166}

NOTE: This report may be used as a sidebar to UMNS story #165.

By Denise Johnson Stovall*

INDIANAPOLIS (UMNS) - A new national heritage center proposed by Black
Methodists for Church Renewal will give church members a place to remember
and celebrate their roots as African-American followers of John Wesley.

The caucus members approved the center during their 35th annual meeting,
April 10-13. At least 500 people gathered under the theme, "Share the
Heritage: Claim the Power - Make a Difference."

Anne Fleming Williams of Philadelphia, national BMCR chairperson, explained
the purpose of the proposed heritage center.

"In the book of Joshua (4:19-24) in the Old Testament, the Hebrew children
paused at the River Jordan, (when they were) about to cross over into
Canaan," Williams said. "Joshua halts them, and tells them to take 12 stones
from the river, one for each tribe, as a memorial, so that when their
children ask in days to come, 'What do these stones mean?' (they) may tell
them, 'Israel crossed the Jordan here on dry land.'

"So, to, we as black United Methodists, thousands of years later, have the
same need," she continued. "We need a 'place' to hold and uphold a great
heritage of a great people, for the sake of those who come behind us."

The BMCR heritage task force has agreed that the organization must archive
its history, she said. "The question is, 'How do we keep all this history
alive so our children's children will know 'how we got over'?"

A $7,500 budget was approved for the remainder of 2002, and $10,000 for
2003, for the heritage task force to meet and develop a plan of action.
Under the leadership of its chairman, Bishop Forrest Stith of Upper
Marlboro, Md., the task force expects to meet with churchwide agencies,
resource people and consultants. The group plans to present a site
recommendation to the 2004 General Conference in Pittsburgh.

"The initial idea for a heritage center was approved, but the process to
develop the center is still an idea," Fleming said. "Several things have
been mentioned, such as placing the center near a black college for the use
of college students.

"But first, we want directives from the (BMCR) body. The main thing is that
we need a place!"
# # #
* Stovall, a free-lance writer, is a member of Camp Wisdom United Methodist
Church in Dallas.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org