From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Statement of Anglican Primates on the Doctrine of God

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:45:55 -0700

ACNS 2960 -PRIMATES' MEETING - 17 April 2002

Statement of Anglican Primates on the Doctrine of God

Report of the Meeting of Primates of the Anglican Communion: Appendix II

In the light of current challenges to historic Christian doctrine from
various quarters, and of the growing influence of different kinds of
"post-modern" theory which question the very idea of universal and abiding
truth, the Primates wish to reaffirm the commitment of the Anglican
Communion to the truths of the fundamental teachings of the faith we have
received from Holy Scripture and the Catholic Creeds.

1. Our God is a living God
We believe that God is real and active, creating and sustaining the universe
by power and freedom, and communicating with us out of unlimited holy love
so that we may share his joy. God is infinitely more than a thought in our
minds or a set of values for human beings.

2. Our God is an incarnate God
We believe that God the eternal Son became human for our sake and that in
the flesh and blood of Jesus of Nazareth God was uniquely present and
active. All claims to knowledge of God must be brought to Christ to be
tested. Through Christ alone we have access to the Father. We believe that
Christ's Resurrection is the act of God in raising to life the whole
identity and reality of Jesus. We believe that it is not simply a perception
or interpretation based on the subjective experience of the apostles.

3. Our God is a triune God
We believe that by the gift of the Holy Spirit bestowed through the life,
death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, we are able to share the eternal
intimacy and delight which is the very life of God in the mutual love of
three divine persons.

4. Our God is a faithful God
We believe that God is always as he shows himself to be in Jesus. In Holy
Scripture we have a unique, trustworthy record of the acts and promises of
God. No other final criteria for Christian teaching can supplant this
witness to the self consistency of God through the ages.

5. Our God is a saving and serving God
We believe that God calls us into the Church and commissions us to proclaim
and work in active hope for the dawning of God's kingdom in the world.

ENDS.

The ACNSlist is published by the Anglican Communion Office, London.

Please send QUESTIONS or COMMENTS to acnslist@anglicancommunion.org. Any
comments about the content of the article should be directed to the author.
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to this message, as any replies are discarded automatically.