From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: New rector joins Colorado parish wounded by AMiA split

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:51:04 -0400 (EDT)

April 18, 2002

2002-096

Episcopalians: New rector joins Colorado parish wounded by
AMiA split

by Dan Webster

(ENS) The covered dish potluck supper in the small parish hall
in Cortez, Colorado seemed like any other church meal. The
deviled eggs were there. The decorated cake heralded the proper
greeting for the new rector.

But St. Barnabas is a parish that, until very recently, was
caught up in a theological and ecclesial firestorm. Its
parishioners--those who remained--were gathering to celebrate
the installation of their new rector, following the departure of
its former rector and a number of others two years ago to join
the breakaway Anglican Mission in America.

St. Barnabas was one of seven Colorado parishes who saw
clergy and members leave to align themselves with the AMiA,
which sees the Episcopal Church as "corrupted" by modern culture
and asserts that it is the "true" expression of Anglican
theology and tradition in the USA. Most have recovered and many
have grown since their initial split. The diocese has 116
congregations in 81 communities across the state.

Deep wounds and departures

The Cortez AMiA congregation, known as the Anglican Church of
Saint Philip the Evangelist, now worships at St. Margaret Mary
Catholic Church in Cortez, with an informal prayer service held
on Tuesdays at a local nursing home. The Rev. Dennis Garrou,
former rector of St. Barnabas, is pastor of the AMiA
congregation and now resides canonically in the Province of
South East Asia. "I had served as rector of an Episcopal parish
in Cortez, Colorado, where the preaching of the Word of God was
increasingly resented by a significant portion of our people,"
Garrou has said of the departure. "One leader even said to me,
'We ought to have the freedom to disagree with the Bible.' That
was the watershed for me."

Garrou resigned effective May 31, 2000, and the next day,
with thirty-three former St. Barnabas parishioners, formed the
new congregation, which spent its first sixteen months in a
meeting room of a local community college. The group was
received into the AMiA in August, 2000.

In all, 14 diocesan clergy and about 600 members left
Colorado parishes in 2000 to start their own AMiA-affiliated
groups. "That's 600 in a diocese of 40,000," said the Rev. Canon
Kelsey Hogue, who was the regional missioner who worked with the
two-thirds of those remaining at St. Barnabas to begin
rebuilding. "It has been a really painful time in their history.
But we just kept reminding ourselves to step out in faith and
trust in the Holy Spirit," he said.

The defections had striking similarities. Some clergy
encouraged members to designate their Sunday offerings to the
rector's discretionary fund and not the parish. Some vestries
voted that designated sabbatical funds be given to clergy
immediately before their departure for the AMiA. One parish
discovered its memorial garden dug up--presumably so a defecting
member could take the interred remains of a loved one with them.
In all cases, remaining parishioners are living with deep
wounds.

An instrument of inspiration

St. Barnabas' new rector, the Rev. Erika Meyer, is a former
priest of the Diocese of Utah. She worked in youth and campus
ministry, 1996-1999, and her last position was as interim rector
at Grace Church, Waterford, New York, in the diocese of Albany.

"I feel really called to be here," the new rector said as she
walked around the tan colored adobe-style church on the corner
of North and Elm Streets. But she says she doesn't feel called
to be a healer.

 "I need to be an instrument of inspiration. I want to have
God use me to make a difference in their lives so that they can
make a difference in someone else's life. Faith works in its
fullest sense when we pass it on," she said. "People need hope
and inspiration in their lives like they need food and water. I
believe church should supply that in the most authentic way
possible every Sunday."

Growing signs of hope

Signs of hope have sprouted in this extreme southwestern
Colorado parish. A strong lay leadership has grown. Stan Morris,
a member for 27 years, became senior warden when Garrou left for
the AMiA.

 "It seemed we were falling apart and going broke," Morris
said, "but we completely changed the vestry. I was frightened to
death. So we held Morning Prayer the next Sunday and here we
are."

That was nearly two years ago. And in a community of about
10,000 population, friends with whom you used to worship just
don't disappear. "Some of those who chose to leave are my
friends and I still love them," said Jan Heyl, a church member
for 15 years. "We all have to make our choices in life."

Help came from some of the 115 other parishes in the diocese.
Another western slope congregation, St. Barnabas in Glenwood
Springs, stood at the last diocesan convention to offer St.
Barnabas in Cortez $6,000 to help pay for a full time rector.
The Glenwood Springs church had just incorporated earlier than
expected and shared its abundance with its namesake parish.

Big tasks, bigger God

But on this particular April evening those who chose to break
bread together, both at dinner and at Eucharist, heard the Rt.
Rev. Jerry Winterrowd, Bishop of Colorado, echo Hogue's sermon,
"the best is yet to come for this congregation." "The tasks are
big," said Hogue to the nearly 100 people gathered in the small
church, "but because God is in our midst, it is doable."

"There is a sense of excitement and energy, fun and joy,"
said Cindy Bradley, junior warden and a member for 20 years. "We
need to look at what we can all be doing together," she said
following the installation service, "and we need to focus on us
being the ministers."

Meyer seems to agree. "The thing that we don't do well as a
church is a strong sense of discipleship, of a disciplined way
of letting God transform us over time," she said. "Some folks
find a way to do this through religious orders, but many
ordinary Christians feel left to their own devices. The Prayer
Book disciplines work well for some...but I need some simpler
models aimed at teens and young adults as well."

Sunday attendance up

Sunday attendance has actually increased since the AMiA split.
Much credit is given to the interim, the Rev. Pat Boots, an ELCA
Lutheran pastor who worked very closely with Hogue and the lay
leadership. When Pastor Boots arrived, average attendance at the
early service was about six and 45 at the family service. Now
the 8:00 a.m. service attracts about 25 and the 10:30 a.m.
service is nearing 90 in attendance.

And Sunday school has grown by one. Johan Hedlund, the
3-year-old son of the Rev. Meyer and husband Carl Hedlund,
spreads his brand of joy and energy around the basement
classrooms.

"There is a feeling of hope and renewal here," said Charles
Hubbard, a long time Episcopalian and parishioner for six years.
"That's exactly what this place needs."

------

--The Rev. Dan Webster is Director of Communications for the
Diocese of Utah.