From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Dean installed at Cathedral of St. John

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:50:18 -0400 (EDT)

April 16, 2002

2002-094

Episcopalians: Dean installed at Cathedral of St. John

by Neva Rae Fox

(ENS) In the shadows of the damage from a devastating December
fire, the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine proved once
again that life goes on in the Episcopal Church and in New York
City.  On April 13, the Rev. Dr. James A. Kowalski was installed
as the ninth dean of the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine
in Manhattan.

A Connecticut native, Kowalski was rector of St. Lukes,
Darien, one of the largest Episcopal parishes in the country,
prior to his call as dean of the largest Gothic cathedral in the
world. Surrounded by his family, including his wife, the Rev.
Anne Brewer, Kowalski was installed by Bishop Mark S. Sisk of
New York, in a service that combined tradition, remembrances,
and a look to the future.

Despite the vestiges of the fire that remain  a temporary
organ and plywood window-coverings  colorful kites and banners
unfurled over the heads of more than 1500 assembled as bishops,
priests, and trustees processed to the joyful strains of a
75-member choir.  Musical selections included Hear My
Song from the show Songs For The New World by Tony
Award-winner Jason Robert Brown.

Cuomo presents sermon

In his sermon, Mario Cuomo, former governor of New York,
noted how well the new dean and the cathedral were matched. His
dazzlingly diverse background suggests he will fit comfortably
in our exquisite cultural mosaic.  Dean Kowalski is the son of
first generation Americans of Russian and Polish ancestry.  His
mother was Jewish and his father was Catholic: they settled
their religious differences after they were married by both
becoming Episcopalian, an extraordinary lesson in collaboration.
In every way Dean Kowalski appears to be a fortuitously
appropriate choice to continue the work in progress of the
worlds largest Cathedral and one of our nations most
cherished.

Cuomo conferred a detailed charge on Kowalski: Dean, here is
my advice: just keep doing what you have been doing for all your
years as a priest and what the Cathedral has been doing so
wonderfully well for more than a century. The truth is that
after 9/11 we need your kind of ministering more than we have in
a long time. Dean, now more than ever, we need you and the
Cathedral, harnessing the energies of love through thousands of
beautiful words and even more beautiful acts of kindness and
generosity. I believe God has blessed us with your presence. Deo
Gratias. Shalom. Salaam Alaikum. Peace.

Presentations touching and humorous

During the installation service, there were many symbolic
gifts presented to Kowalski, including water, a Bible, the Book
of Common Prayer, a stole, a flowering branch, oil, and a bell
from the Cathedral School. Chuckles rippled through the
cathedral as Kowalski was presented with a calendar in the form
of a Palm Pilot, and the keys to the cathedral, attached to a
cumbersome heavy chain and wooden plank.

He, in turn, presented Connecticut bishop Andrew Smith with a
cross that survived the December conflagration and, as Kowalski
described, could be the most photographed cross from the
cathedral fire.

The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine is the seat of
the Episcopal Diocese of New York.

------

Neva Rae Fox is the Director of Communications for the Episcopal
Diocese of New York.