From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Diocesan executives explore renewal at CODE meeting

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:52:11 -0400 (EDT)

April 18, 2002

2002-098

Episcopalians: Diocesan executives explore renewal at CODE
meeting

by William F. Dopp

Nearly one hundred diocesan executives gathered from all over
the United States and Canada to attend the 39th annual
Conference of Diocesan Executives (CODE), held in New Orleans,
Louisiana April 10-13.

The theme of the conference was "Renew by the Bayou," and its
central focus was the renewal of the church, with workshops
dealing with the development of the church in changing times.
CODE president, the Rev. David Kent of the diocese of Kansas,
opened the meeting by telling the executives, "We hope you will
be both informed and inspired."

No waiting for church renewal

Keynote speaker for the gathering was the Rev. Charles N.
Fulton III, newly named director of congregational development
at the Episcopal Church Center in New York. Fulton led two
presentations, in which participants looked at the renewal of
the church in the 20/20 movement and at their personal renewal
as individuals.

In the first presentation, Fulton showed a videotape of
Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold's address to the recent 20/20
strategy group meeting at Camp Allen, Texas. From the ideas
expressed in the video, Fulton went on to describe what the
Episcopal Church must do to realize the 20/20 vision of doubled
attendance in 20 years. Fulton seconded Griswold's statement
that 20/20 is "not a program, but a way of being."

"Evangelism in the Episcopal Church has usually meant that
we're getting all dressed up and waiting," Fulton quipped. But
the vision of 20/20 demands that Episcopalians be actively
involved in evangelism.

Fulton noted that in today's world "we are not making
Episcopalians, but rather we're making Christians. Two
generations have been away from the church and we cannot assume
they understand the faith."

Practical, personal renewal

In his second presentation Fulton looked at personal renewal.
"The main unit of the church will not be the national church,
the diocese or the congregation," he told the executives. "It
will be the individual." He had them draw timelines of their
spiritual journeys and asked them to share their stories with
one another, to get a better grasp of how their lives had been
transformed. The group also heard case studies illustrating
practical experiences in renewal.

The 2003 CODE meeting will be held in Jacksonville, Florida
and led by the new CODE president, the Rev. S. Scott Hunter of
the Diocese of Michigan.

------

--The Rev. William Dopp is communications and financial
development officer for the Diocese of San Diego and a member of
CODE.