From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: News Briefs

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:02:42 -0400 (EDT)

April 19, 2002

2002-100

Episcopalians: News Briefs

NCC delegation begins mission to Mideast

(NCCC/USA) Embarking on a 12-day journey to visit those people
affected by the violence occurring in Palestine and Israel, 14
American church leaders spent the first day of the journey in
preparation and by meeting with Orthodox Church leaders in
Istanbul, Turkey.

The U.S. delegation, headed by Dr. Bob Edgar (United
Methodist), general secretary of the National Council of
Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. (NCC), and by Elenie Huszagh
(Greek Orthodox), the president of the NCC, received first the
advice and blessing of His All Holiness Bartholomew, Ecumenical
Patriarch of Constantinople and spiritual leader of more than
250 million Orthodox Christians worldwide.

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew reminded the group that he
had met last month in Washington with President Bush and
Secretary of State Powell. The patriarch expressed his concern
for the American people in the wake of the September 11
disaster. "Last month I visited Ground Zero and I prayed...and I
spoke on the meaning of our common prayer." This led Edgar of
the NCC to conclude, "So it is in prayer that we Americans come
now to express our concern for, and our solidarity with, the
peoples of the Middle East."

The U.S. delegation leaves on Friday, April 19, for Beirut,
where the group will be hosted by the Middle East Council of
Churches and have meetings with religious and political leaders,
including Lebanese prime minister Rafiq Hariri. The group will
then continue on to Syria and Jordan and has scheduled meetings
with Syrian president Bashar Al Assad and King Abdullah of
Jordan before arriving in the West Bank and Israel on April 23.

Episcopal GenXers to gather for 'unConventional' time

(ENS) The Episcopal Church's "Generation X"--those born
1961-1981--will converge on Indianapolis, Indiana, for
"Gathering the neXt Generation (GTNG) 2002 National Gathering:
Equipping ourselves for lifelong ministry together," June 20-22
at the Westin Hotel in Indianapolis, with a special
pre-conference day for Episcopal GenX clergy only on June 19.

This conference by, for, and with GenXers and their friends
promises an "unConventional time" and the opportunity for
GenXers to connect and "be church," according to conference
organizers. Daily worship and Bible studies will be offered in a
variety of styles. Featured speaker for the Gathering is
Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold.

Nearly two dozen workshops are planned, including sessions on
finding vocation and the "heart" experience of being a priest or
deacon; cell groups and church growth; reconciliation and deep
nonviolence; the 20/20 movement; spiritual direction using
e-mail and chat; how to get out of debt; balancing your
checkbook with God in mind; and many more. The Expo area will
offer displays and booths from publishers, vestment artists,
seminaries, and church-related organizations. Childcare and
children's activities will be available. Full conference
information, including registration form, fees, online payment,
workshops, and hotel reservation instructions, is available at
www.gtng.org/conference.html.

Barahona chosen to lead Central American Anglicans

(ENS) Bishop Martmn Barahona of El Salvador was chosen as
Presiding Bishop of the Anglican Church of Central America
(IARCA) on Sunday, April 14. Barahona, 59, succeeds Bishop
Cornelios Wilson of Costa Rica.

The election was held in Guatemala City during the second
provincial synod of IARCA, whose motto was "Anglicanism: a
challenge in Central America." The election was democratic,
carried out in a process in which laity, priests and bishops
decided the new course of the province for the next four years.

The installation of Bishop Barahona has been planned for
August 24 in San Salvador. All are welcome.

For the Salvadoran bishop this election was the work of the
Holy Spirit and his main challenge during this period will be
the search for unity and the growth of the Episcopal Church.

El Obispo Martmn Barahona de El Salvador fue electo como
Obispo Primado de la Iglesia Anglicana de la Regisn Central de
Amirica (IARCA) el pasado domingo 14 de abril. Barahona de 59
aqos de edad sustituira al Obispo Cornelios Wilson de Costa
Rica.

La eleccisn se llevs a cabo en la ciudad de Guatemala durante
el Segundo Smnodo Provincial de IARCA, cuyo lema fue
"Anglicanismo: un reto en Centro Amirica". La eleccisn fue
democratica, conllevs un proceso en el que laicos,sacerdotes y
obispos decidieron el nuevo rumbo de la provincia para los
prsximos cuatro aqos.

La instalacisn del Obispo Barahona se ha programado para el
prsximo 24 de agosto en la capital salvadoreqa. Todos y todas
estan invitados.

Para el Obispo salvadoreqo este eleccisn fue obra delespiritu
santo, y su principal reto durante su perisdo sera la busqueda
de la unidad y el crecimiento de la Iglesia Episcopal
Anglicana.

US Christian leaders explore new ecumenical body

(ENS) On April 4-6, a group of 37 religious leaders meeting in
Chicago adopted a statement entitled "Christian Churches
Together in the U.S.A.: An Invitation to a Journey." The
statement is part of a conversation between Evangelical,
Orthodox, Pentecostal, Mainline Protestant and Roman Catholic
leaders about a new ecumenical organization for the 21st century
which would include most of the Christian bodies in the US.

"In Baltimore on September 7-8, 2001, we met to pray, to listen
and to seek the guidance of God on whether all who confess the
Lord Jesus Christ as God and Savior according to the scriptures
can talk together about how to share with the world our common
confession of Jesus Christ," the statement explained. "We
continued this prayerful conversation in Chicago on April 4-6
and sensed the Holy Spirit leading us to new possibilities."

Lamenting that "we are divided and that our divisions too often
result in distrust, misunderstandings, fear and even hostility
between us," the document adds that "our lack of faithfulness to
each other has led to a lack of effectiveness on crucial issues
of human dignity and social justice.  We lament that none of
our current organizations represents the full spectrum of
Christians in the United States. We long for a place, where our
differences could be better understood and our commonalities
better affirmed."

I found this second meeting very exciting," commented Bishop
Christopher Epting, deputy for ecumenical and interfaith
relations for the Episcopal Church. "There seemed to be lots of
energy in the room around finding a new form of conciliar
ecumenism for the 21st century, perhaps less bureaucratic, more
flexible, and more inclusive than the structures weve
inherited. The Episcopal Church will certainly want to continue
to be part of this conversation.

The statement invites "all churches who confess Jesus Christ as
God and Savior according to the scriptures" to join in the
effort. There will be a follow-up meeting on January 27-29, at a
site to be determined.

Episcopal churches become 'river friendly'

(ENS) Ministry on the River's ecumenical River Friendly Church
program is attracting Episcopal congregations across the country
to join others that minister to mariners on America's inland
waterways. Nearly 100 Episcopal congregations are River Friendly
Churches.

River mariners perform dangerous work and endure long periods
away from home and family, moving millions of tons of valuable
cargo. Typically mariners will be away from home for at least
six months of the year, disrupting family patterns. Every other
Christmas is spent underway. Under the strain of the
"home-a-month," "gone-a-month" working routine, marriages are
tested, and often damaged. River families endure these hardships
without the support systems many take for granted. Their
schedule precludes traditional participation in the community.

Ministry on the River and River Friendly Churches provide
mariners and their families with pastoral care, counseling, and
emergency response onboard and ashore; family support; Bible
distribution, worship aids; Pass It On book and video exchange;
and the yearly Christmas on the River program. To learn more
about becoming a River Friendly Church, e-mail
riverministry@seamenschurch.org or call Karen Cox, Ministry
Project Coordinator at 270/575-1005.

------